30. The Ocean stands still Then Overlaps

(Image Credit: DahliaWilder on DeviantArt)

As they walked together to their location, both of their hearts were beating anxiously like a drum. None of them said anything so far as they were busy looking down at the ground with their red faces. Gladion clenched onto his hoodie.

Damn it, I'm way too close to her! Hopefully she doesn't notice my stupid face...

Y/N began hugging Popplio a bit too tightly in which the pokemon barks concernedly in response. She flinches and quickly gives her pokemon an apologetic glance.

Darn it, I'm too nervous!

They finally make it to the beach. They quietly sat down onto the sand as the ocean stood still, not daring to make a sound. It was  still broad daylight unfortunately, so Y/N could not see the sunset yet. Back in Kanto, she would always go  outside just in time to see it but would lead to her getting in trouble by her mom.

"Go back to bed Y/N! It's  freezing out here! I'M freezing out here!"

She giggled at  that thought. Gladion turns to her confusedly.

"Something funny?,"  he asked. She looks at him and then looks back at  the ocean. 

"...Yeah, just something stupid I did back then. Gladion, can I...can I ask you something?"  He turns to her uncertain but nods.

"...How  is your...mom like?"  Gladion stared at her surprised. Popplio looks up curiously as he looks down at his red sneakers which were slightly covered in sand. 

"...She isn't  a very good person or mother,"  he says  sternly. "She was kind and compassionate, but  then became evil. The mention of an Ultra Beast made her obsessed that she just...ignored her own children. And because of that, Lillie almost got hurt. I soon ran away from home with Silvally and Lillie ran off with a special pokemon known as Cosmog. She wanted to use those pokemon for her own desires."  

Y/N looks at him quietly, resting her head on her knees. 

"...But she still  loves you and Lillie in the end, right?"

Gladion doesn't  immediately respond. He was already aware that she and Sun were orphans. In order to spare her feelings, he nods  sympathetically. It was true that Lusamine loved he and Lillie, it was just hard to accept  that  thought in the back of his head.

Y/N smiles and looks back at  the ocean. None of them said anything shortly after. Both of them didn't  feel awkward, they just didn't  know  what  to say next. Should they keep talking about  their lives? 

"...So, how do you like Alola so far Y/N?,"  Gladion ask curiously. She turns to him who's  face seemed a bit red as he looked away. She notices and smiles, his sudden shyness making her feel  like she was the normal one. 

"It's  great! I mean, there are so many new things and pokemon here unlike in Kanto. I was getting tired of seeing Zubats. I'm really glad to have met so many people here. It makes me happy."  Gladion however was looking for a different answer. He rubs his head awkwardly still with a red face.

"I-in that case, are you glad that...you met me?"

Y/N quickly blushed. She looks  down shyly, now becoming the weird one. 

"W-well, the first  time we met was when I kicked you in the g-groin..."  They both recall the event, the scene playing in their heads. Gladion looks away embarrassed. She smiles and continues. "...But when we kept on running into each other, I got  to learn more about you. At first you were rude and a bit distant from everyone, but overall you seemed like a good person. The way you care about your sister, how you saved Silvally from those Aether people..."

"...and the way  you treat me makes me feel...nice and safe."

The ocean's  waves overlapped each other, making the sand underneath it wet. It however made no sound as the two young trainers  sat on the soft sand quietly. Gladion looks towards Y/N who kept staring at  the overlapping ocean, seeming to be in a daze. He carefully moves himself closer to her, wanting to comfort her. She notices but doesn't  say anything. Instead, she closes her eyes and slowly rests her head against his  shoulder. He notices but doesn't  say anything. Instead he looks towards the ocean, a relaxed expression on his face.

"...Y/N?,"  Gladion softly whispers after a moment. She doesn't  respond, only soft snoring and breathing could be heard. He smiles and looks back at  the ocean.

"...I can be rude and sometimes selfish. I hate weak trainers because I assume they don't  work themselves to be strong. Y/N, you're  a weak trainer yourself, but I enjoy  your personality and company. I realize it doesn't  matter if you're strong or weak. Because in the end..."

"...I realize that I'm  in love with you."

The End