11. Forgiving Ourselves

(Image Credit: Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime)

"Umbreon, Dark Pulse!"

The Alolan Persian and Salandit attacked Gladion's Umbreon and the wild Lycanroc who fought back aggressively. As Y/N stood back behind Gladion, she wondered if she could have helped Lycanroc get its berries back if only she had Popplio with her. Her pokemon could have gotten a little bit of battle experience, but thanks to her she ran off without thinking. 

While troubled in her thoughts however, the Persian who was having trouble and no progress in hurting Gladion and the pokemon saw Y/N and grinned evilly. Now focused on her, it took out its sharp claws and quickly ran towards her, ignoring the pokemon and shocking Gladion. The pokemon lunge towards Y/N who looked up just as Persian was about to attack.

Her face went into fear.

Quickly she shielded her face with her arms. "Y/N!," shouted Gladion. He sprinted towards her and grabbed her arm, pulling her away from the attack quickly. In the process he stumbled back and fell, Y/N landing on his lap in a thud. She groaned as Gladion turned away with a red face, trying to focus on the Persian and Salandit. 

"I-iron tail Umbreon!"  His pokemon nods and its tail glows white, hitting the Alolan Persian who was thrown back. Lycanroc bites Salandit's tail who yelped in pain. It looks towards his friend in tears, wanting to get away. The Persian growls disappointingly and swipes its claws at Umbreon, getting away and waiting for Salandit. The pokemon quickly gets away from Lycanroc with a broken tail and both of the pokemon get away, leaving behind the berries.

Gladion sighs in relief, but quickly notices Y/N still in his lap who tried to stand up. He pushes her off of him embarrassingly. She yelps and glares at him irritated. 

They both got up and saw Lycanroc happily trot towards its berries. Y/N smiled sweetly, happy that everything worked out. Gladion blushed and turned away from her, but before he could leave they heard a voice that she recognized. She turned around and saw her brother Sun run towards her giving her a hug. He looked at her uneasy.

"What in Arceus were you thinking?!," he exclaimed worriedly. Y/N chuckled awkwardly, giving him an apologetic look. The scene made Gladion a bit jealous, which later surprised him. Professor Kukui and the others then showed up, Lillie surprised to see her brother. "Gladion? What are you doing here?"  He turned towards her with an expressionless glance.

Professor Kukui however was more concerned with the prize. "Alright alright, let's all  look for the bag. Kiawe, you look over there. Sun, head that way. Y/N and Gladion, with me."

They spent all afternoon looking for the prize but unfortunately had no luck. Lycanroc didn't care about the bag as it focused on its berries, which made Y/N and Sun glance at the pokemon disappointingly but amused. Gladion, who stood around to wait for Lillie, watched as Y/N looked around. She noticed him watching her and quickly looked away. Her Popplio barked happily, staring at her trainer. "I completely forgot how we...anguish him," she whispered to her pokemon. Y/N gulped, refusing to face Gladion.

I bet he's glaring at me right now! How am I going to face him?...

She sighed, knowing what to do. She stood up and walked towards Gladion who's eyes widened. Y/N smiled at him, scratching her head. "Hey Gladion, right? I um, want  to apologize."  He stared at her surprised. "...That night," she explained, "when you helped me and Popplio from that weird group. Instead of thanking you, I kicked you in the groin."  Gladion's face went red, obviously embarrassed. He looked away. 

"...Oh,"  he mumbled. "It's okay, I don't...blame you."

She stared at him surprised. Gladion sighed, still  looking away. "It was nighttime, you were alone with a weak pokemon, and Team Skull was going after you. I happen to be there and help you but you were most likely terrified and confused. I understand why  you would defend yourself against someone that looks like me, especially when I headed towards you without saying anything."

Y/N nodded, but still felt a bit bad. Sun then walked towards them, glaring at Gladion. He turned to his  sister. "We couldn't find the bag. Professor Kukui said it's time to head home."  She nodded and both of them began to leave with Kukui. Lillie returned and she and Gladion also headed home. 

He glanced at Y/N, hoping to see her again.