8. Chasing the Game

(Image Credit: AntonKurbatov on DeviantArt)

Y/N laid her head on the table helplessly. She and Sun were at a malasada shop having a good time, everyone but her anyway. Sun stared at his  sister confused, taking a bite of his food. "This is pretty delicious. Aren't you going to have some?," he asked. She mumbled, pushing her malasada towards him on the table. "I'm not hungry,"  Y/N mumbled. Sun sighed, giving his leftovers to Litten and Rowlet who sat underneath the table along with Popplio. He crossed his arms.

"Okay, tell me what's wrong."

She looked at him with her big E/C eyes. "I messed up Sun, I messed up bad. I left Lillie's invite because of something I did. I-it was stupid, and I'm guilty of it! That time when I went to go get poke puffs, I..."  She trailed off, thinking of the best way to explain. He rolled his eyes annoyed, a bit impatient. "Just spill it,"  Sun demanded. Y/N gulped, looking down on the table. "...I ran into a group that wanted to hurt me and Popplio and so we ran but were caught in trouble. A boy that turned out to be Lillie's brother helped us but me being the terrified idiot I was...might've kicked him in the..."  His eyes widened surprised, and suddenly he burst out laughing.

"I-it's not funny!," said Y/N angrily. Sun wiped tears off of his eyes and shook his head. "Whatever sis, let's just get  to school." 

At trainer school, Professor Kukui had set up a game that involves answering questions about pokemon moves. He set all of the guys in teams; Sun and Y/N, Mallow and Kiawe, Lillie and Lana, and Sophocles helping out with the challenge along with Rotom. Professor Kukui grinned and held a flag.

"On your marks, get set, go!"

They all ran to the podium that had pieces of paper written with random questions. Sun grabbed a paper and he and Y/N walked away from the others in order to focus. He read the paper.

In my days of studying pokemon moves, there's a move that I always wanted to learn about. But the pokemon with that move is quite rare. If you can tell what the move does to Rotom, you win! But you'll need to explore the area and find the pokemon with the move. Battle it and see if it uses the move!

Move: Howl. The pokemon should howl at the air. What does that move do?

Pokemon with move: Lycanroc. There are two forms. Midday and Midnight. You should mostly see the midday one but i'll tell how they each look anyways.

The midday has pointed ears with dark brown tips, big blue eyes, and a triangular, dark brown nose. There are four sharp fangs in its mouth. Their fur is light brown.

The midnight has short red fur with white on its lower legs, and a white streak that covers its face, underbelly, and tail. It has pointed, with black tips, three large tufts of fur on each side of its face, a triangular black nose, and a mouth full of sharp teeth. They are mostly red.

Good luck!

They stared at the paper. "...We need to fight a pokemon?," said Sun carefully. He smiled and clenched his fist up in the air. "Our first pokemon battle!!! This is going to be awesome!"  Y/N rolled her eyes at his reaction, but suddenly heard rustling in the bushes. It quickly stopped when she turned around. 

 "What was that?.."  Sun then grabbed his sister's arm. "C'mon! Let's not waste time!"  The two of them headed into the forest quickly.

"...That was close."

Gladion clenched his fist behind the trees. "I only came here to watch Lillie and make sure Professor Kukui isn't sending her inside the forest, but those two...damn it. That Kukui...he's actually trying to get weak trainers to fight strong pokemon. Pathetic." 

He stared at Y/N and Sun as they entered the forest. He sighed, turning towards his Lycanroc.

"Looks like my Lycanroc is going to the one for their needs."