12. Z-Ring Bother

(Image Credit: Pokemon Sun and Moon Manga)

(Long Chapter)

The next morning, the siblings decided to train outside with their pokemon. The sun beamed at them while the ocean waves were overlapping each other. Y/N and Popplio got ready to battle against Sun and Litten who looked very eager to battle. He glanced towards his  sister with a cocky grin. 

"Since this is your guys first time battling, we're gonna start off easy with a type advantage."  Popplio barked happily while clapping its flippers, Litten rolling his eyes. Before they could begin however, Sun walked up to Y/N and handed her something. She confusedly stared at the item. It was a thick bracelet with a small slot in the middle shaped as a rhombus.

He smirked and pointed at his wrist, wearing the item. "It's called a Z-Ring. It allows you to gather Z-Power and use Z-Moves. Apparently it can make any pokemon move stronger,"  he explained. She stared at her bracelet in awed, putting it on. She turned to her brother. "How did you get these?"  Sun shrugged. "Kukui said he felt bad for losing our prize from yesterday and to make it up he gave us these Z-Rings that he got from a kahuna, whatever that is."  He looked towards Iki Town.

"...The bracelets are made from something called a Sparkling Stone. The reason we only got  these is because Kukui told the kahuna how strong-willed we were and how we had a deep bond with our first ever pokemon."

Y/N and Popplio headed towards the Malasada shop, their stomachs grumbling. "Sun handed us four Z-Crystals that were given by our friends. Who knew they were trial captains! I think we'll be using the water one, right Popplio?"  The pokemon in her arms nodded happily. They were meeting Lillie at  the Malasada shop today in part of Y/N ditching when the girls were hanging out that time. It wouldn't have happened if Gladion hadn't showed up, but oh well.

As they made their way to the shop, she saw Lillie up ahead. Lillie noticed her and waved excitedly. She was about to wave back but quickly stopped walking in her tracks.

She saw Gladion.

"I'm glad you came!"  Lillie ran up to her and grabbed her hand, heading towards the shop. Y/N had a blank expression. "...Hey um, why is your brother here? Where are the others?,"  she asked impassive and slowly. Lillie smiled apologetic. "Mallow said she had to clean the entire restaurant and Lana had to babysit her little sisters. I asked Gladion if he would like to join us, and he said yes."  

She turned to Gladion surprised who didn't look at her, hiding his embarrassment. 

Everyone sat at the table quietly. Y/N didn't want to make Gladion feel unwelcome, but it was pretty awkward. She coughed and made a fake grin. "So Gladion! What do you...like to do?"  He looked at her, not sure of what to say. He looked down at Popplio and Vulpix who were on the floor smiling at each other.

"...Battle."

He blushed. "I m-mean, I like to have pokemon battles. I hate going against weak trainers."  That stabbed her in the chest, since she wasn't a very strong trainer herself. Suddenly the waiter showed up and placed their food and drinks on the table, as well as poke puffs. 

As they ate, Gladion noticed a Z-Ring on her wrist. His eyes widened, seeming somewhat displeased. Before he could say anything, they heard yelling and loud stomping. He quickly looked out the window and saw Team Skull riding on Tauros causing destruction and rampage in the city. The girls noticed too and Lille looked outside worried, Y/N frowning angrily.

They went outside but made sure to stay at a safe distance. Gladion turned to them, pulling out his pokeballs. "You guys  stay here, I'll handle them."  Y/N frowned and grabbed his arm before he left, surprising him. "Now wait just a second," she said a bit annoyed, "you're not the only trainer here. Let me help."  He glared at her and shook off her hand from his arm. He began heading towards Team Skull, turning back at her.

"Tch, stopping Team Skull with a Popplio? Get real, Y/N."

He ignored their expressions, walking up towards Team Skull with an irritated look. They noticed Gladion and they almost fell off their Tauros perplexed. Tupp frowned angrily, narrowing at Gladion. "Jeez dude, why are you everywhere? If you think you're going stop us, you're wrong!"  Gladion sighed, having enough. He sent out his Umbreon. "...You're really wasting my time, you grunt."  Tupp clenched his teeth and he and the other two looked at each other, nodding their heads. He looked towards Gladion.

"You know what? Me, Rapp and Zipp are doing what we want! No one except Guzma and Big Sis will boss us around!" 

The girls who were witnessing the event looked at each other stunned and confused. Y/N glanced at the ground.

Guzma? Big Sis? Who's that?

She echoed Tupp's words in her head. "...He can't tell me what to do," she mumbled under her breath. She smiled and looked at Popplio who wanted to prove Gladion wrong. She headed towards him and Team Skull, looking back at Lillie who stared at her stunned. "Y-Y/N? Where are you going?,"  she asked. She ignored her, only giving her an excited grin. Then she ran towards them, Popplio barking determined. Her Z-Ring started to glow.

"...C'mon Popplio, let's find out what this does!"