Chapter 11.2

[Celeste]

They all gathered at the docking port door to say goodbye. Mihra cuddled each baby in turn, whispering secret wishes into an ear of each. Nanny-bot took two of the children into her arms while Celeste took the other to her shoulder.

Mihra put a hand on Celeste's other shoulder. "They be healthy and grow well. The line of the Empress be in good hands. So happy am I that I took you in so long ago."

Celeste said, "Thank you so much for your help, Mihra. You know you are welcome to go with us to Sanctuary?"

Mihra hugged Celeste. "Nay, girl. The whole Commonwealth needs to hear that the Empress be reborn, far and wide! And I will try to root out those threatening you. For now, run silent, run fast."

The tall woman released Celeste and came to Moon, wrapping her strong arms around him and pulling into a nearly suffocating embrace. "You take care of her and the babies."

Moon returned the hug and nodded. "I will."

Mihra even hugged Nanny-bot. "And you, Sai, keep watch over them all."

Nanny-bot stood rigid, seemingly not knowing what to do in a hug, especially as she held two babies. "Indeed, I shall, Priestess."

Moon lowered his voice. "Are you sure we can't convince you to stay? You could be in danger. Those that hunt Celeste may not want the news of a new Empress to get out."

Mihra stuck out her chin and crossed her arms. "They would not dare harm a Senior Sol Priestess! And once the news be out, it will spread like wildfire, nothing can put it back. I shall be fine."

Moon turned to Nanny-bot. "Sai, establish a direct long-range link with the Harmony AI and keep it open during her trip. Plot an indirect course for her. Just in case." He turned his head toward Mihra. "With your permission, of course."

She nodded. "So granted."

As Mihra ducked her tall frame through the docking port door, she said with a smile, "I would tell you all 'may the Sol Empress be with you', but I know she be."

Celeste and Moon watched the Harmony undock and move away from the port window.

*****

Later, the next evening, Sai announced. "Priestess and Captain, I hope you do not mind, but I prepared a dinner for you in the garden. I shall look after the babies so you may dine in peace."

Celeste dropped her jaw as Moon shrugged. "Sai, that is very thoughtful of you. But first I should give them their dinner."

"Of course, Priestess. Your dinner will be ready when you are."

Celeste nursed the babies in the bedroom, changed their diapers, and left them in the care of Nanny-bot. Hope and Faith had already fallen asleep, and Gabriel would soon join them.

Moon met her at the bedroom hatch, grinning and shaking his head. "You are not going to believe this."

"What?"

"You'll just have to see for yourself."

Moon escorted Celeste to the garden. Rich old-world classical music drifted through the open hatch, inviting them within.

With a bow and an extended hand, Moon ushered her inside. "I believe our table is ready."

Her eyes widened and her breath halted. A white tablecloth and a slender taper candle adorned the small table in the middle of the garden. The overhead plant lights stood dark, the only illumination came from a multitude of tiny twinkling white lights scattered across the ceiling and walls like stars on a moonless night. It seemed a magical place.