Chapter 34.2

[Celeste]

The closer Celeste came to Vers Nederland, the more the anxious she felt. On the Commonwealth capital world, she would stand in judgment, if she made it there alive at all, since Diego had yet to make his next move. A typhoon of vague dark scenarios churned in her head that even practiced meditation would not hold back. The hardest part was how little control she held over her own destiny.

But already had death been denied. How fortunate am I that I came to be on Commander Miles' ship?

Sitting cross-legged on the floor of her quarters, her thoughts drifted back to those loved, yet left behind. By now, the fearsome Commonwealth battle group would have reached them. Hope had risen to her destiny far better than anyone should reasonably expect. And Gabriel had become his own man and a wildcard. A grin snuck on Celeste's face. Much like his father. The grin faded as a distant longing filled her heart. Moon, my love, I miss you so much.

"Ms. Ciel?" Celeste opened her eyes to see Commander Miles standing at her open doorway wearing the crisp blue uniform that he seemed to never take off. As she stood, he continued. "I have news. Would you join me in the galley?"

With a nod, Celeste followed him, exchanging greetings with crew and other passengers along the way. She noted how the Commander did not share his news in her room, nor even step past the threshold. Except for their initial ruse to catch a potential killer, who now languished in the brig, he went to great lengths to avoid the appearance of anything improper. His standards for crew behavior reflected the same thing. With men of such honor, there is hope for the Commonwealth.

"Thank you." Celeste sat at a table, accepting a mug of tea. "What have you to tell me?"

He took a sip of tea and sighed. "I am almost embarrassed to say that the Confederate forces scored a decisive victory against the Invictus Battle Group. Every Commonwealth ship was lost."

A joy blossomed within Celeste's fretful mind. They endured! Her smiling face reflected the joy, but when she took in his pensive expression, she dipped her eyes in shame. "I am sorry, Alistair. There must have been a terrible loss of life. I should be more sensitive."

"That is just it, Celeste. The Commonwealth ships were not destroyed, rather disabled and captured. The loss of life was minimal." He shook his head. "I do not know how that would be possible."

Celeste grinned inwardly. I do.

Alistair tapped his hand-held viewer. "And most incredible of all, only two, a man and a woman, boarded and disabled the Invictus, then brought down the entire fleet." He cast an image to an overhead display panel. "Here is an image of the man as he gloated to the Prime Minister."

Celeste took a sharp inhale and her hands shot to her mouth. Gabriel!

The Commander lifted an eyebrow at her reaction. "So, you know him?"

"Yes, he is my son, and brother to the Empress." Celeste immediately chastised herself for revealing that, but then realized that Commonwealth intelligence officials would have already known.

"Your Empress just released a brief statement over the info-web." He tapped his viewer again, changing the display image to that of Hope, wearing a formfitting black outfit emblazoned with the symbol of the Sol Empress in bright red. Her long dark hair flowed down each side of her face, then behind her back. Above Hope, Celeste made out part of the artful firebird image painted on the domed bridge ceiling of the Firebird Rise.

Celeste muttered, "She would be your Empress too, Alistair."

The video started with Hope's voice. "People of the Sol Commonwealth. I am the sole heir of Empress Iona. I come not as conqueror, but as peacemaker and unifier. Powerful people with evil intent have corrupted the government and especially the Trade Consortium. It is my purpose to return the Commonwealth to honor and compassion worthy of the first Empress. As such, I implore all to reject violence in these trying times. May peace prevail." The video ended.

"Perhaps she is," Alistair said, tilting his head. "She has a striking resemblance to Empress Iona."

Putting on a half-smile, Celeste remarked, "My dear Commander, might you be coming around to--"

Another face popped up on the display panel, interrupting Celeste. "Sir, two unidentified ships approach on intercept course. They do not respond to hails."

The Commander jumped up. "Bypass first drive limits and increase our velocity, Lieutenant. On my way!" He sprinted out of the galley.

Celeste rose to follow. When she reached the bridge, the Commander stood behind the seated pilot, looking over his shoulder. A tactical holographic display with telemetry data showed the Arcadia and its pursuers.

The Pilot reported. "Our relative velocity is holding at sixty-eight C. The unknown ships have adjusted course to compensate. Time to intercept is approximately thirteen minutes."

"We won't be able to outrun them." The Commander muttered, rubbing his chin. "Send out an emergency assistance request and sound general quarters."

As red lights flashed from the ceiling and a harsh horn blared, Alistair turned to Celeste. "Your fears may have come to fruition, Ms. Ciel." Oddly to Celeste, the boding statement did not match the Commander's relaxed stance nor his resolved stoic expression.

A uniformed young woman dashed on to the bridge and took the second control panel seat. Wide eyed and trembling, she was anything but composed. The Commander put a hand on her chair back, saying in a calm voice. "Ensign, you have weaponry and coms. Remember your training, you've got this."

With a firming of lips, the Ensign replied in a confident voice. "Yes, sir!"

"Ensign, continue hailing attempts and enable pulse cannons," He commanded. "Pilot, ramp up the fusion thrusters and prepare for full output. What do you make of the ships?"

The Pilot answered. "One appears like a light cruiser and the other is smaller, some sort of support ship. They transmit no identification data and do not match any ship in the registry."

"Not surprising, Lieutenant. The cruiser will probably release weapon platform drones. Ensign, set defense parameters to automatic, but prioritize the drones."

"Yes, sir."

A wave of tingling guilt swept through Celeste, and she came closer, speaking in a low voice. "Commander, they only want me. I am prepared to give myself up in order to--"

The Commander interrupted with a stern voice, lowering his eyebrows. "A noble sentiment, Ms. Ciel. But I have no intention of shirking my duty." He turned to the Pilot. "Time to intercept?"

"Four minutes and twenty seconds, sir."

"Ship wide com on." After a beep, the Commander tilted his eyes up. "Crew and passengers of the Arcadia, this is Commander Miles. Hostile action is expected from unknown ships. Get to your safe locations, strap in, and prepare for acceleration forces. Remember your training and we shall persevere. Com out." He sat down in the captain's chair and motioned toward a jump seat behind him. "You too, Ms. Ciel."

"One minute to intercept, sir," the Pilot announced.

"Close all pressure isolation doors." Commander Miles ordered, and the heavy bridge hatch swung closed. "Pilot, on my mark, drop us out of quantum space and engage the thrusters, full output. When those ships overshoot us, set course directly toward them. Ensign, swing the pulse cannon turrets straight forward. Target and eliminate any weapon drones that emerge from that cruiser."

"Aye, sir."

Celeste watched the unknown ships come closer on the tactical display while the countdown clock ticked down, each passing second becoming longer and longer.