Chapter 25.3

[Hope]

Eshe did allow Gabriel to give her a tour of the ship, and she agreed to teach him some of her martial art skills. They developed a cordial relationship, but she deflected every subtle hint of a romantic tryst. While warm and friendly off-duty, on-duty like now, she was sternly all business. Hope took comfort in that.

on Elysium, Hope, Celeste, and Eshe, sat in the reception area outside of the Sol Priestess' office. Sai had guided the Firebird Rise to land in a forest clearing not far away, rather than dock at the spaceport in orbit above. A pleasant walk through towering trees and a lush understory brought the women here. Hope drummed her fingers on the wooden chair arm, the finish having long ago worn off. She gazed at the paintings and carved wood panels that adorned the walls, from local artists, Hope presumed, but still the nerve endings in her gut tingled.

This will be my reveal. Then the dye will be cast.

Celeste wore a thin brown hood over her head to conceal the tattoo on her neck that designated herself as a Priestess. She scowled at the portrait of the Empress Pro-Tempore, Ali Zahra, that hung by the door. No love lost there.

Eshe sat stiff and upright in her chair, her eyes moving back and forth across the room. She seemed to feel uncomfortable without a side-arm strapped at her waist but bringing a gun into the presence of a Sol Priestess was frowned upon, and probably illegal. Hope had no doubt Eshe concealed some sort of weapon in her form-fitting black suit but had no idea where.

An open double-door to one side led to a gathering room where the Priestess would teach the Sol Way or sometimes arbitrate disputes. The building, like most on the planet, was constructed of durable wood, a nearly infinite supply available from the tropical forests that covered most of the land. Hope's eyes traced the warm grain patterns in the walls.

A receptionist sat at a wooden desk in the back of the room beside a closed door to the Empress' office. The young woman busied herself with a tablet viewer, but sometimes cast a suspicious eye at the visitors. Hope surmised that she was not the first woman claiming to be a lost Empress heir.

After several nervous moments, a beep sounded on the receptionist's viewer. She turned her eyes up and spoke in an even tone. "Priestess Larren will see you now."

Hope looked down on her patterned leggings and plain tunic top and sighed. I'm not dressed like an Empress.

Celeste whispered to Hope. "I do not know this Priestess, but let me do the introductions."

The Sol Priestess, a woman about ten years older than Hope with reddish-blonde hair and a freckled face, motioned to a set of chairs in front of her desk without looking up. "So, it appears that one of you claim a lineage to the Empress Iona?"

Celeste answered, "Yes, Priestess. A genetic daughter to be exact."

The Priestess lifted her green eyes. Celeste and Hope sat in chairs while Eshe stood behind them with her arms crossed.

Hope raised her hand. "That would be me."

Narrowing her eyes, the Priestess scoffed, "We shall determine that in short order. Are you familiar with the Signet test?" She rounded the desk, picking up a satiny metallic cylinder the length of her forearm.

Celeste pulled her hood back, revealing the stylized sun tattoo on her neck. "I am quite familiar with it."

Priestess Larren wrinkled her forehead. "You are a Sol Priestess? You seem familiar, have we met?"

"We have not met. But you may be familiar with me. My name is Celeste Ciel."

With widening eyes, Larren exclaimed, "You! You betrayed the Sol Way! Empress Zahra had you thrown out." She leaned sideways toward her desk, reaching for her tablet viewer.