Chapter 32

Heartache comes with idealism. In an imperfect existence, happiness emerges from mature acceptance.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Moon]

Moon shook his head in disbelief as he watched the negotiations from the sidelines. Is that really my little girl?

Pleasant memories of his young daughter flooded Moon's mind: lips sputtering baby food not to her taste; playing pretend-Empress with her sister before an audience of stuffed animals; squabbling with her brother; disassembling devices to see how they worked and then not knowing how to reassemble them. Now Hope arbitrated the future of an entire planet.

A shadow crossed his heart. If only Celeste was here to see this.

A roughened table at one side of the food hall hosted the negotiations. Eshe stood behind Hope with arms crossed and her usual stoic expression. Now freed from captivity and wearing the traditional white gown of a Sol Priestess, Sanva sat beside Hope. Never one for dressing up, even as a little girl, Hope wore a comfortable blue t-shirt top and black leggings, which she rolled up above her prosthetic leg. Beside the Priestess sat a gray-haired man that served as the city magistrate and Confederate Chancellor Janya Patel with her hands folded in her lap. To Hope's other side and leaning in on the table, was Angelique in her role of Assistant to the Priestess and Director of the New Hope Shelter.

Moon marveled at Angelique. How far had she gone since trying to hustle me on the Oracle Station so many years ago? It is like the Writings says, compassion comes around. But now her son had caught my daughter's eye.

Three members of the Khan family, not so happy about ceding power, and two local police officials sat across the table. Moon grinned at their predicament. Since the appearance of the Sol Empress, public sentiment had turned against them. Two Commonwealth military officers in crisp blue uniforms with frowned faces witnessed the proceedings, their starship now in the hands of the Confederacy.

Moon had no illusions that the transition of power would be smooth. While the public was generally supportive, many powerful people had a vested interest in the old system. Hope had taken a wise early step by first securing support from the local police leadership.

For security, a squad of Confederate soldiers in gray uniforms surrounded the table at a distance and the battle-bot stood outside on perpetual guard duty, all under Eshe's control. A fleet of Confederate warships circled Ephenia like a shield. It took no coaxing by Moon for them to come to the Empress' aid.

The clamor of young voices interrupted the proceedings as a group of children charged into the food hall at the apparent embarrassment of the adult caregivers who tried to herd them. Amil ran towards Hope, bypassing the soldiers who now knew to let the boy through. Sura, Amil's newly reunited mother, followed the children in, holding on to Gabriel's arm.

Moon grinned to himself. It seems my son has also found an amorous interest.

Hope hugged the grinning Amil and ruffled his hair. "Let's take a break for lunch," she announced. Over the last few days, Hope made a point to have lunch with Amil and the children.

*****

Early the next morning on the bridge of the Firebird Rise, Moon prepared for departure. Gabriel was already on board, but he had not seen his daughter. He called out, "Sai, can you locate Hope?"

"Yes, sir," the AI replied. "Hope is in the aft-starboard cargo hold with Dr. Stephen Boone. By their close proximity, I believe they are--"

Moon raised his hands. "I don't need to know the details, Sai."