Chapter 5

Lasting movements, like life, begin small.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Moon]

As directed by Sai, the maintenance-bots not irreparably damaged by the torpedo detonation swarmed across the ship. Power had been restored to most areas, and soon the second fusion reactor would be online. Moon stood before the status panel in the engineering section of the ship, manipulating software switches and setting the safety interlocks to begin the reactor startup.

His mind drifted to Celeste. She had impressed him. Willing to get her hands dirty, she worked long hours, and by her efforts, the bio and environmental systems were nearly up to full capacity. Not at all what he expected from a Sol Priestess. But for that matter, neither was the whole fertilizing the Empress' ova event.

The Line of the Empress hung by a fragile thread, consisting merely of four microscopic clusters of human cells, one of which may become the Sol Empress. If they survived. The specter of peril loomed like dark clouds — so much danger still threatened them, so many ways for the Line to end. This was Celeste's sole and overriding life purpose. And now Moon became invested in it as well.

Swirling thoughts alternately warmed and chilled him. They would be my children. But taken away to fulfill a destiny, I would not be their father. But then, what kind of parent would a long-hauler like me be anyway?

Alternating feelings washed over him: worry and resolve; pride and anguish; hope and fear. They tingled his gut and quickened his heart. Overwhelmed, he felt a strong desire to hide somewhere, anyplace to escape the potent emotions that felt so uncomfortable. The stash of ales tempted him, but this was not the time.

Besides, Sai is watching over me like an overprotective nanny.

Sai's voice over the intercom pulled him out of his thoughts. "Sir, you have worked for two hours. It is time for a fifteen minute rest break. And you should rehydrate."

Moon threw his head back and rolled his eyes. "Sai, for the last time, I am fine! We need to get this reactor up."

"Sir, your schedule specifies--"

"Screw the schedule! We have work to do." He turned back to the status panel. "I am almost ready to engage the startup sequence. I'll need you to monitor the mag field flux."

Sai's voice became harsh. "Now see here, Elijah Soloman Lee! This is for your own good. You must take your rest break!"

Moon dropped his jaw. "Sai, did you just issue a command using my full name?"

Sai's voice returned to her normal gentle alto. "Yes, sir. A strong authoritative imperative statement utilizing a full formal name sometimes ensures compliance."

Moon sighed. "That only works with children, Sai." His eyes narrowed. "And it isn't so authoritative coming from an AI that I can easily reprogram. Now forget the rest schedule crap and let's get this reactor online!"

"But sir, the Priestess set the schedule up--"

With clenched jaw, he shouted to the ceiling. "You can tell the Priestess that..." His voice quieted. "Umm, never mind, you would actually tell her."

"Tell me what?"

Moon jerked and turned to find Celeste leaning against the hatch frame, unable to determine if she glared or smirked. Maybe some of both. He grumbled, "You've corrupted my AI."

"We are just looking out for you, Moon."

"Like I told Sai, I am fine. The headaches are gone. Mostly."