Studies

-Lance POV-

Once I was down I found more books about basic magic, and sat at the table. I started with one explaining how to use magic. It started with an ancient tale that I instinctually memorized due to the fact that my father was a keeper of tales. On the page after there was a single quote, which I read out loud. "Many think magic has gotten stronger as it evolved and changed, it hasn't, it has only become weaker and tame. The Katz family doesn't deal in tame, we are retainers of the old ways, forces of emotion. -Usoro Katz." I flipped the page to find the basic description of magic.

Magic is fueled by emotion to guide magic into different forms, shapes, and directions. Magic isn't something to be used and manipulated, it's force of the universe meant to be gently guided and worshipped. It isn't a tool, it's a way of life. To use magic, one must feel the magic in them and outside of them, one must use their wands or, in rare cases, their bodies to guid it. Only magical materials, beasts, relics, or, rarely, people can interact with magic. There is no real way to describe the feeling of magic. Every warlock has an affinity for at least one type of magic, but their have been cases where warlocks are compatible with multiple types of magic.

I sat there for hours on end reading about the different types of magic and their uses. At the end I found a passage about finding out what kind of magic you could use. There was an item called a crystal ball that would show you or tell you what you had the highest affinity for. I searched the shelves until I found the item that matched its description. I set it on the table and read the instructions. "Place hand on the ball, channel magic into it. How do I do that?!" I asked slightly annoyed.

I jumped as I heard someone reply. "Ah, an unawakened warlock." The crystal ball said as it glowed a bit. It's voice sounded older and feminine.

I looked at the ball skeptically. "What the hell? Did- did you just talk." I asked in confusion.

The ball laughed. "Yes, yes I did." It said, amusement clear in its voice.

My brow furrowed. "How?" I asked still confused.

The ball laughed a little more. "I'm not just a crystal ball, I'm a soul trapped in here as punishment for what I did when I was alive. My name is Morgana." It said.

I nodded slowly. "Morgana, as in-" I was cut off by her sigh.

"Yes, that Morgana. Now, do you want my help? I could teach you all about magic." She said.

I narrowed my eyes. "I heard about you in Merlins tales. What's the catch?" I asked skeptically.

She sighed. "I understand your skepticism, but there is no catch. I've come to terms with my imprisonment and I now understand that I deserve it. I'll help you free of charge." She said.

I thought about it for a minute. "Ok, deal. What do I need to do?" I asked.

She seemed to perk up. "Really? Ok, take a deep breath and put your hands on your chest." She instructed.

I did as she said and waited for further instruction.

"Now, hold your breath and try to force the breath out with your hands." She said.

I did as she said, but I just exhaled on accident. "Sorry."

"It's fine, it usually takes a few tries. Do it again, but this time, don't mess up." She said.

I nodded and did as she said, but I just exhaled again. I was there for an hour before I finally did it right, I felt like the air in my lungs had burst out through the bottom and spread throughout my body. I took a few pained breaths before it felt like I could breathe again. "What was that?" I asked.