The Deparcher

-Lance POV-

I woke up in the cellar with my staff once again in my hands. I sat up and yawned. I'd spent the last few days learning to drive a wagon from Asmund and exploring the city alone or with Astrid. I'd learned my favorite part of the city was still the market. Astrid and I had gotten pretty close, not like best friends, but good friends. Today was the day I had to leave, so I figured I should probably pick up my suit. I'd been putting it off so I could do other stuff. I took a shower then got dressed and grabbed my sack. I riffled through it and made sure all my stuff was there, it was. I slung my sack over my shoulder and left the cellar. I found Jarl Thorin, Asmund, and Astrid waiting.

I rose an eyebrow. "Hey guys. What's up?" I asked.

Jarl Thorin smiled and rested his hand on my shoulder. "We just came to say goodbye. It's been a pleasure, my boy." He said before backing up.

Asmund smiled. "What he said. My name carries a lot of weight in this world, feel free to throw it around a bit, but not too much." He said with a smile.

I chuckled. "The pleasure was mine, and I thank you both for your hospitality and kindness." I said with a smile.

The Jarl and Asmund nodded to each other and the Jarl spoke. "Well, me and Asmund have some business to tend to, I hope we meet again." He said. Asmund nodded as they left.

I turned to Astrid who was just as confused at their actions as I was. I took a deep breath. "So, I guess this is goodbye." I said.

She nodded. "I guess so. Do you mind if I walk you to the gate?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Not at all." I said.

She smiled and we started walking. "So, where will you go next?" She asked in a slightly sad tone.

I thought for a second. "I think I'll head south, to the great city of Atlantis. I've heard that the next material I need is there." I said.

She nodded. "Oh, I've been there once before, it's an amazing city. Don't tell anyone I said this, but it rivals even Azrard." She said.

I nodded. "I've heard that from others as well. Is there anything I should prepare for?" I asked.

She nodded. "Snide comments and subtle insults." She said.

I chuckled. "I can handle that." I said.

She seemed nervous for a minute before finally speaking again. "Lance?" She asked to get my attention.

I looked over at her. "Yes?" I asked.

"After you're done... what if you came back to Azrard? For good. Dad could buy you and your mom a house, you could attend the school of tales, then become a city warlock to earn your keep." She said suddenly.

I was taken by surprise at first, but I recovered after a minute. I smiled sadly. "I wish I could, but we've already invited the warlock families and made the offer. If we were to back out, they'd take that as an insult and I can't risk retaliation. Someday I'll be able to come back, until then just know that you were my first friend." I said said as we walked.

She nodded in understanding, then looked down. "I understand... if you can't stay here, then at least keep in touch. We could be pen pals." She said hopefully.

I smiled. "I like that idea. I'll get a falcon once I have enough money and I've gotten  my mom out of that village." I said.

She smiled and looked up. "You promise?" She asked excitedly.

I chuckled. "I promise." I said.

She hugged me without thinking then quickly backed away. "Sorry." She said.