The Scales

-Lance POV-

I was walking through the forest outside of the nearby city. I'd been traveling for a week, I hitched rides with farmers traveling to towns as often as I could. When I wasn't riding along with someone, I trekked through the forests towards the great city of Azrard. I'd never been to city before, but I heard great things. Over the week I hunted for food, but I kept anything I thought would be worth trading or selling at the market.

Soon I was at the large gate at the entrance of the city, my hood was up and my sack was slung over my shoulder. The gate was opened, but lined with guards. They noticed me and rested their hands on their weapons.

Their leader stepped forward and spoke. "Lower your hood and state your business." She said sternly.

I couldn't see their faces because of their helmets, it was a little intimidating, but not too intimidating. They wore odd outfits, unlike any I'd ever seen before, they wore fabric, but there were also animal furs and armor plates sewn in.

I put my hood down and looked her in the eye. "I'm here searching for something, I'm also here for trade." I said as I held up my sack.

She nodded and walked up to me cautiously. "Open the sack." She instructed.

I did as she said and held it out. "I have nothing to hide."

She looked inside and rifled through it. As she ruffled through the bag I noticed she was shorter than me, about five foot eight, and she had fiery red hair. Her assets were rather large as well. She relaxed a bit, but kept her guard up. "These will fetch a high price at the market. You're cleared, please enjoy your time in Azrard." She said stoically.

I nodded and slung the sack back over my shoulder. "Thank you. May I ask what you're wearing? I've never seen clothing like that before." I said curiously.

She looked up and down. "You must not be from around here. We are Ostmen, these are traditional garbs." She explained.

I nodded. "I see. Well, I should be going." I said before walking past her and the other guards. I put my hood back up because it was comfortable.

As soon as I looked up I was in awe. There were so many shops and big houses. They all had windows and doors, some were made of stone while others were made of wood, there wasn't a straw rooftop in sight, it was amazing. The streets were made of cobblestone, lights on top of posts lined the streets, and there were signs at every corner to give directions to travelers.

I was so in awe, I didn't even notice the guardswoman walk up beside me. "I know it's amazing and all, but it's not that different from other cities." She said.

I snapped out of it. "I've never seen a city before." I said as I looked over at her.

Her eyes widened. "You're a commoner?" She asked in surprise.

I nodded. "I was born and raised in a nameless village, but I wouldn't call myself a commoner. I'm a keeper of tales." I said.

She nodded. "Oh, I see. It's been a while since I've met a keeper. Do you have any tales to tell? You could make money off of telling them here." She said.

I shook my head. "It's wrong to sell tales for money. Tales are something that should be shared... in exchange for another tale of course." I said.

She laughed a little. "Well, if you want to exchange tales, I was just relieved of my post. I could show you around while I'm at it." She offered with a smile.

I thought about it, then looked back at the city, it was very big. "That sounds nice." I said with a smile.

She nodded and motioned for me to follow. "Come, I'll show you to the market." She said as she started walking.