[ Prologue ]

20 Years Ago......

Chaeyoung sits quietly in the backseat of the car, playing with her tiny fingers as she waits for her mother to appear from the office building. She's been waiting for the past thirty-five minutes, her mother hasn't yet appeared.

She knows how well-attached she is to her work. Just as she's about to let out a deep sigh, a familiar woman with dark brown hair begin to walk towards the car. Chaeyoung's lips curve up into a smile, eyeing her mother as she enters the car, giving her an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry, baby" Her mother says, causing her to nod her head. Even though she's only a six-year-old, she understands quite a lot about her parents busy career. In fact, Chaeyoung has a soft-heart, known by their family chauffeur, Minjun.

She gets attached to someone easily and she forgives easily... that's why Minjun is fond of her. "Straight to kindergarten, ma'am?" He asks, looking up at the rear-view mirror as both of his hands are gripping onto the steering wheel.

Choi Minjun has worked for the family ever since he got out of high school. He's around the same age as Chaeyoung's father, if not a couple of years older.

Even though, they're not too many years apart, he has a visible crease near his eyes and in the middle of his forehead, making him look older than he is supposed to look, somehow.

"Yes" she replies, applying another layer of red lipstick onto her lips before closing onto the compact mirror, putting it back insider her handbag. Chaeyoung stares at her mother, eyeing the way she sits, full of grace and poise.

Her hair curls nicely down onto her shoulders, making her look professional yet casual, at the same time.

"Excited, sweetheart? You'll get to meet new people and make friends," She says, turning to look at Chaeyoung and see that she has been playing with the hair-tie in her hand. She would always bring it anywhere she goes as it is known as her lucky hair-tie.

"What if they hate me? What if I won't make new friends?" She asks, Her mother grabs onto her hand, gripping it as a sign of support before smiling down at her.

"Chae, honey, you are the most wonderful girl in the world. You are smart, beautiful, talented, funny... okay we have to work a little on the funny part but you are capable of everything," she smiled.

The car comes to a stop, Minjun turns to look at them with a smile as soon as his eyes land on her. Then, both of them step out of the car as they walk towards the entrance of the kindergarten.

"Hello ma'am, you must be Mrs. Clare?" A woman starts to make her way towards them as they stand in the middle.

"I'm Yerim It's a pleasure to finally meet you," The woman continues to say as her mother shake hands with her, leaving her standing with a slight smile.

"Likewise, Yerim" her mother responds as the woman turns to look at Chaeyoung, her eyes glint with amusement. "You must be Chaeyoung"

"There are a couple of kids who are also registering today, Chaeyoung... why don't you join them on the playground?" She turns to point her at the playground which can be seen from the inside through the glass window.

Chaeyoung's eyes meet her mother's as she nods, "Go on, Honey Make some friends," she says, causing her to walk straight towards the playground after glancing twice at her mother.

As soon as Chaeyoung steps outside at the playground, she met with a couple of boys playing near the sandbox while another boy is playing alone near the slides.

She is left furrowing her brows as she realises that there are only boys here in the playground... leaving her head towards the swing, gripping tightly onto the sides as she gets on.

"You're on my swing," A boy says and before she can turn to react, she is falling onto the ground as she tries to support herself from hitting her own face. Both of her eyes wander to look at the figure behind her, seeing a boy with a big doe eyes staring back at her with a slight frown in between his eyebrows.

"What is wrong with you?" Chaeyoung asks, her eyes are almost tearing up with tears yet she holds it back. She looks away, wiping her tears as she tries stand up before eyeing the scratch and cut on her right knee.

"Jungkook" An unfamiliar woman steps out towards the playground with wide eyes as she makes her way towards them in a hurry. She grabs onto his arm as she turns to look at Chaeyoung "What did you do?" She asks him.

"She was on my swing." He replies, quickly crossing his arms. The woman walks towards Chaeyoung, her eyes showing worry before eyeing down the blood on her knee. Her eyes widen as she turns to her son.

"You do not act like this with or towards any girls. What did I tell you..." Just as she was about to speak, he has cut her to it.

"It's very ungentlemanly to hurt a girl and it's also disrespectful to hurt anyone without a reason but never hurt a girl," He breathes out, somehow getting bored of saying the same thing for more than once.

"Baby?" Chaeyoung's eyes wander to her mother who looks at them three in surprise before making her way towards her daughter. She eyes the scratch on her knee, "What happened?" She asks, worriedly.

Just like that, Chaeyoung sits all by herself in one of the classroom, her eyes wandering around the room and down at her knee which has been plastered with bandage. Her eyebrows furrow at the sound of her mother talking about how she was injured without a reason.

"Right now." Someone says before the door closes again, everything goes dead silent, immediately. Within seconds, Jungkook appears near the door which causes Chaeyoung to look up at him, seeing that he's playing with his fingers but his eyes are looking at her.

Then, he takes a seat the opposite from her, "Hi."

"Hi..." She replies, Jungkook and Chaeyoung both stare at one another with an expressionless face but as children, they feel nothing except for the amount of attraction towards one's beauty.

"I'm sorry for pushing you down the swing." He says and She looks up at the door, seeing that her mother is standing there with Jungkook's mother, staring, as well.

She holds onto her own tiny fingers underneath the table before eyeing Jungkook again who seems to be thinking of something else before giving her his hand, "Friends?" He asks.

As known by Minjun, Chaeyoung will always be the one to forgive. She was raised with manners and she will always follow them.

"Friends" She breathes out, shaking hands.

"Your eyes are really pretty," Jungkook says as he tilts his head to the side which causes Chaeyoung to smile.

"Yours, too." She replies and they both begin to talk about other things. Chaeyoung has never felt that way before especially with someone who had pushed her down the swing but for some reason, she feels like they'll be friends for a really long time.

Both of their mothers stare at them with a smile on their faces as they get acquainted. Beginning that day they managed to be the best of friends. It was a worthwhile journey and it was their journey.