Chapter Sixty-Three

Shingami walked through the streets, her eyes darting around the rooftops and any shady areas that could provide cover.

She had her hands in her trench coat’s pockets and her mask stayed firmly on her face. She walked at a steady pace, not speeding up and not slowing down. Her thoughts went through her head again and again. While she walked she saw Asuma a little ahead of her, but she noticed that he was holding Kurinai’s hand and they took a stroll. She was about to walk away to leave them alone but Asuma turned around as soon as he sensed her chakra and waved her over.

“Shingami, over here!”

She immediately turned around and walked right up to the pair to greet them. “Good morning, Asuma, Kurenai.” 

“Would you like to walk with us?” Kurenai asked with a sweet smile on her face, Asuma was waiting for the silver-haired girl to answer and without hesitation, she said “Sure.”

Shingami walked beside Kurenai who was in the middle of the two.

“I haven’t seen you in a couple of days, everything alright, Shingami?”

Her eyes darted up again before she spoke. “I’m alright, I was just with Shizune and  now I’m going to go see if Genma and Anko are back yet.”

“I forgot they haven’t gotten back yet.”

Kurenai couldn’t help but notice how shingami kept looking over her shoulder like she was expecting someone to be there when there was no one in reality.

“They are supposed to be back sometime today but you know how Anko is.” She looked over her shoulder again. “Anyway, it was good to see the two of you, I’ve got to see Ibiki.”

They both watched her as she walked away disappearing into the crowd, before looking at each other. Asuma spoke first “Did she seem off to you?”

“Yeah, I hope she’s alright.”

Asuma looked in the direction the girl had disappeared one more time before He and Kurenai continued on their walk.

_______________

“Ino, can you hand me the tweezers?”

“Here, Lady Shizune.”

Ino stood beside Shizune as she stitched the patient up after open-heart surgery. There had been no complications and Ino was very intrigued the entire time. 

Shizune had her interact with a patient before the operation. During the operation, she had her identify different tools and internal organs, namely, the heart, lungs, and a couple of other major bits, but overall, it was a great experience for her. 

Once the patient was stable again Shizune had left the operating room to see Tsunade, so she knew that everything had gone smoothly, leaving Ino all by her lonesome in the room to help clean up a bit, all while admiring Shizune’s handy work. She’d truly done a wonderful job, and scarring will be left at a minimum. 

There hadn’t been team training in a while but that was because only two of them were still genin, herself and Choji. Asuma and Shingami weren’t genin, to begin with, and Shikamaru was a Chunin so it was hard to get them all together all of the time. With missions and day-to-day life, everyone had their own things going and they’d bump into each other for a little while, the only ones that consistently meet up are Choji and Shikamaru, sometimes Asuma goes with them.

Shingami was an absolute wild card, weeks could go by before you see her or hear of her. Sometimes she’d go out of her way to see the team to check in on them but she usually went to Asuma for that but she was usually there for them when they needed her and they could count on her.  

Ino started putting away the used tools into the sink or trash depending on what it was. The patient’s heart rate spiked for a couple of seconds causing Ino to knock over a tray with a couple of unused tools and a clipboard when she turned around to make sure everything was okay. 

The woman didn’t wake up and their heart rate steadied Ino kept her eyes on the monitor for a few minutes just to be sure nothing was wrong she checked the blood bag to see if it was dripping properly, after assuring herself it was she leaned down and lifted up the tray, putting the tools back on so they could also be put into the sink to be disinfected later.

Once the tools were dealt with she bent over and picked up the clipboard, swiping her hand across it to get off any dirt or dust that may have gotten onto it. Ino looked over the sheet to see if it was important; it wasn’t really, just a donor log. It had the names of the person who donated the blood and the person who donated the heart.

Ino’s brows furrowed. First off, the two donors were the same person, which was fine, but the person on the sheet didn’t make sense to her. It had to be a typo for at least the organ because there was no way Shingami would be walking around out there without a heart and a pint of blood.