Chapter Forty-Four

After they’d finished their dinner they paid, well, Shingami slipped the server the money before they finished so when Asuma went to pay it was already paid for he gave her a look since it was supposed to be on him. But he just shook his head and let it go. Knowing that it was pointless to try and tell her not to do it again.

Because she always ended up doing it.

Asuma ended up walking with them to Choji’s house. It was oddly quiet in the compound but Choji wasn’t too bothered by it. He led them inside and they took off their shoes

Asuma and Shikamaru plopped down in the chairs that were for the big island. Shingami raised an eyebrow at the huge oven and stove. She didn’t comment on it though. 

Ino and Shingami waited for Choji to pull out the ingredients and set up everything to help him.

When it came down to it they were all watching Shingami over her shoulders giving her little pointers and tips as she cooked. When Shikamaru had fallen asleep on the counter giving Ino the perfect opportunity to put a bowl over his head.

Shingami could tell he wasn’t sleeping based on his chakra but he didn’t bother to move the bowl and did end up falling asleep with it over his head at some point when she wasn’t paying attention to him.

Choji was telling her all the different things she could do to make the food taste the best it could. But he didn’t realize she was putting it all into her memory, she’d remember every damn detail just like each of her interrogations. 

She gently swayed the pan side to side making sure the oil and soy sauce seeped into the mushrooms and garlic. The kitchen smelled amazing once they were wilted and cooked thoroughly.

Choji held out a plate with a high rim so she could put it in.

“Let’s try it, I think there’s more than what Ibiki can eat.” It was true, three bunches of mushrooms was a bit much for one person shingami wasn’t a stranger to eating this particular dish so she knew what it was supposed to taste like.

She took one of the mushrooms and took a bite out of it. It wasn’t as chewy as she thought it was going to be, instead, it was soft and the oil and soy sauce was completely soaked into the mushroom.

“Mmm! He’s gonna love this!” Ino said as she took one for herself too. Choji had taken more than a few. “These taste better than the ones I’ve made.”

Asuma also tried them, he had to admit that he was impressed. For someone who just figured out how to make the dish, she had done an excellent job.

Shikamaru was the only one that hadn’t tried it and Shingami really wanted his approval.

So she picked one up and walked to the other side of the table gently pulling the bowl that was still sitting over his head off, setting it down next to him.

“Shikamaru, Do you want to try some?” 

He cracked one eye open and blushed when he saw Shingami’s face just a few inches away from his own.

“W-What?”

“Will you try it?” She held the mushroom up to his mouth waiting for him to open it.

He opened his mouth making Shingami smile, when she put the mushroom in his mouth her thumb brushed over his bottom lip making him blush even harder and slam his forehead against the island so the others wouldn’t see his flustered face.

“Do you like it?” Shingami asked, almost sounding disappointed at his reaction.

“Y-Yeah, Best sautéed enokitake I’ve had.”

“Really?” 

“Yeah.”

She smiled and held out another for him, Asuma and Choji were covering their smirks, while Ino was already planning out their future wedding giggling to herself when she thought about Shingami in a beautiful white dress.

After Shikamaru had finished the second mushroom Shingami’s face went blank as she stared deeply into his eyes, he didn’t seem to mind because he stared right back into her’s until she spoke. “Can I walk you home this time?”

That single sentence caused the three bystanders to stutter and cough and laugh, and they couldn’t hide it.

Shingami didn’t understand the reaction at all, to her it was an honest question. She just wanted to return the favor to Shikamaru.

Shikamaru didn’t know what to say so he just stared at her.

Asuma was loving their interactions. A few years ago she wouldn’t even smile, now she was hitting on people. Well, not really, not in her mind at least. But he could see why the two got along, they were both pretty calm, and logistical. But all Shingami was trying to do was get others to accept her, without changing who she was.

That thought made Asuma stop laughing. It was only a matter of time before they saw the part of Shingami that she’d been hiding since the day she met the team.

It never really came to mind before, and now he knew why Shingami had been so hesitant about going to all those training sessions, She was always afraid she’d screw up somehow. Afraid of how they would react.

Shikamaru noticed how Asuma got quiet while Shingami asked Ino and Choji why they had been laughing, she also saw Asuma’s expression but chose not to address it. 

After a few minutes of not getting a straight answer Shingami. Was about to go into Interrogator mode because she really wanted to know their answers but Asuma put his hand on her shoulder.

“Shingami it’s no big deal, don’t go biting their heads off.”

The girl quieted down. “Why don’t we all go for a little training session before we all part ways? Get out for a little?”

Shingami nodded.

Shikamaru was just glad the conversation was off the previous topic.

“Here let me put this in a container for you,” Choji said as he put the rest of the mushrooms into a tupperware so she could give it to Ibiki later.

If any of you like the walking dead or more importantly, Daryl Dixon. I have started a story about him so you can go check that out.

Her Mask (Shikamaru x Oc)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें