Chapter Forty-Nine

Ibiki held out the paper to Shingami who looked ever so slightly confused.

“I wanted to wait until your birthday next week, but I think now is a good time for this.”

She gently took the paper from his hand but didn’t open it.

“What is it?”

“Just open it.”

She hesitated for a few seconds before doing as the man asked seeing his signature and Lady Tsunade’s at the bottom of the page before anything else. She looked up at the man for a second before looking back down at the sheet of paper.

As she read each word her hands started shaking and her eyes widened.

“What is this?”

“You know what it is.”

She put the paper down beside her and launched herself at him wrapping her arms around his neck not wanting to let him go he also held onto her.

“You want to adopt me? For real?”

“Yeah, but only if you want.”

“Why?”

“Shingami, I’ve known you for four years. You grew on me, like a tumor.” He said without a hint of humor in his voice, making her hold onto him tighter while a small smile spread across her face.

“What do you say, Shingami?”

She let go of him and had a small smile on her face. “Shingami ‘Morino’, does have a nice ring to it.”

_____________________

"Hahaha! Ibiki you old fuck! Can I call you Daddy too?”

Shingami and Genma were trying to hold in their laugher as Ibiki glared at Anko.

Shingami had both her hands over her mouth. She was surprised everything turned out this way but she wasn’t going to complain.

“...” Ibiki was literally glaring into her soul but none of them were too worried about it, it was too amusing, Anko hadn’t pushed his buttons like this in a while which made it all that much better.

Sometimes a little too much but this wasn’t like those times.

“Anko, don’t you have to be somewhere else?”

“Not till ten… Daddy~”

Shingami and Genma finally cracked and were rolling on the floor like toddlers laughing with tears in their eyes trying so hard to recollect themselves but after a while, they gave up and started laughing harder when Anko kept calling him Daddy, Daddy Ibiki, and Interrogator Daddy.

“Go to hell, Anko.”

“And leave you guys here all alone? I think the fuck not! You love me don’t you, Daddy~!” That time she also started laughing when Ibiki threw his hands up in disbelief and walked out the door while the three stooges laughed on the floor.

______________________

The next day came with a new interrogation in the morning and a short assigned mission for all five members of team ten.

Shingami per usual chose to arrive a little earlier than the others but as she walked into the clearing of the training grounds, she was surprised to see that Ino was already there.

The girl quietly walked over to the blonde and sat down next to her making the Yamanaka smile.

“Hey.”

“Good morning.”

Ino pulled her knees to her chest and turned to look at Shingami. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

“Have you ever loved someone and then they left you?”

Shingami froze for a few seconds before realizing who she was talking about.

“You’re referring to Sasuke, aren’t you?”

“...”

“I know the feeling.”

Her eyes widened. “You liked Sasuke too?!”

Shingami turned to look at the girl but scrunched up her nose in disgust while doing so.

“Sorry but Emo edge lords that think only about revenge are not really my type.” 

Ino laughed at the comment and snarkily replied with.

“No, I think you like people that are as laid back as you.”

“You think I’m laid back?”

“Well, yeah. At least when you don’t look like you want to kill someone.”

“And when is that?” She scoffed.

“Good point.”

Shingami pushed Ino’s shoulder playfully before nodding. “Your not completely wrong.”

“What?”

She shrugged “I do tend to be drawn to people that are calmer or crazier than I am.”

“Crazier? Like Anko crazy?”

“Exactly.”

Shingami flipped her mask around so that Ino could see it.

“My family had this dynamic of crazy and calm. This mask was my mother’s.”

Ino looked up at Shingami for a moment making sure she was alright with her touching it before taking it carefully into her hands.

“Your mother wore this too?”

“Yeah, it’s something of an heirloom.”

“I bet she looked a lot like you.”

Shingami smiled. “She did.”

Shingami smiled a little bigger when she realized Shikamaru was hiding out in a tree above them listening to their conversation.

The silver-haired girl smirked and nudged Ino pointing up.

She also smiled. “So… I’ve been thinking…”

“What about?”

“You and Shikamaru are pretty close...”

Shingami’s smile faltered a bit but she wanted to see where this was going, a horrible habit she picked up from Anko.

“So?”

“I think you two would make a cute couple!”

Shingami’s face blanked and flushed pink, Shikamaru’s face turned bright red and he started coughing on his own spit. This took a turn that he wasn’t expecting and he ended up falling out of the tree right on top of Shingami’s lap, making it so much worse. 

Shingami stared down at him, not knowing what else to do while he was in his daze. But he ended up staring right back up at her, his face somehow even redder than before.

Ino squealed at her success and Asuma and Choji were confused at what just happened as they had just arrived.

Shikamaru attempted to scramble off her lap only to end up getting off the ground as Shingami had disappeared from where she had been sitting, her mask still in Ino’s hands, a detail that didn’t escape Asuma’s mind.