Chapter Twenty-One

Soon enough the chunin exams came around, Shingami worked her team harder then they had ever had to work before. She would stay up late every night planning their training for the next day just to wake up at the crack-ass of dawn every morning.

She never gave herself the chance to get a full night of rest. Everything that Shikamaru said always seemed to remind her of all the things she tried to forget.

It wasn’t like she blamed him or anything, but she wished that it wouldn’t happen as often as it did.

Shingami was walking in the back streets of the village wasting time. She was waiting for Ibiki to send for her since she was going to be a protractor for all parts of the exams.

A little bit of the dirt on the ground by her feet shifted in an unnatural way causing her to stop walking.

“Gaara.” She said turning around.

“It’s been a long time, Shingami.” The redhead said with his arms crossed.

“That it has. Think you're up for the exams?” Her poster was more relaxed then what Gaara was used to from others.

“Yes.” He said with a tone as blank as his face.

“Where are your brother and sister?”

He looked away. “Somewhere.”

Shingami and Gaara started walking with a good three feet between them, more for Gaara than it was for Shingami.

No words needed to be said the company was satisfactory enough.

After a few minutes, they heard yelling really familiar yelling. Shingami just shook her head. 

Naruto was with Gaara’s siblings just yelling at them for some reason.

Gaara used his sand to bring both himself and Shingami to the same tree that Sasuke was in. On the other side of the trunk, upside down.

He crossed his arms and glared at the sight of his brother taking out his puppet about to make a scene by attacking Sasuke.

"Kankuro, enough." All heads snapped over to the pair. “You are an embarrassment to our village. Have you forgotten the reason we came all the way here?” 

"uh-Hey, Gaara…" He looked warily at the girl standing right next to his brother with her chilling bone-white mask.

Naruto then noticed who was beside the Suna Shinobi.

"Shingami-Chan!? What the hell are you doin’ with this guy?!”

Shingami remained unblinking and soon after stopped the chakra flow from her feet landing silently in front of the genin.

Sasuke and Gaara were watching from the tree all while keeping an eye on each other.

“Gaara is good company.” She said walking past the blonde boy, ignoring Sakura’s worried look, and the scared looks of the three academy students, standing face to face with Kankuro and Temari who took a couple of steps back as she approached.

Her eyes flashed dangerously at the siblings, mainly Kankuro. “Unlike you, I don’t feel the need to prey on children.”

Her hand shot out grabbing Kankuro’s face, her hand gripped his chin holding him in place. He stared at her, his eyes wide with alarm.

She brought her masked face closer to his painted one, “I will say this once and once only,” Her eyes never left his. “If you step out of line again, I’ll make sure you get familiarized with T&I unit.” 

 “Or better yet,” She held her sword to his throat nobody noticed her grab it. “You’ll get acquainted with my blade. I will not hesitate to gut you in the middle of the street.”

All the genin and the academy students were wide-eyed and fearful of what Shingami threatened-no, promised to do. Well, except for Gaara and Sasuke who were both staring blankly at the scene below them.

She let go of the boy’s face and put her blade back in its sheath. She glanced up at Gaara. “We’ll talk later. I have… business, to take care of.”

Her eyes settled on Konohamaru and his friends. “Stay out of trouble, I won’t always be there to save you.” 

With that she walked away from the group, She heard Kankuro’s attempt at explaining to Gaara what had happened only to be shut down with the same threat that Shingami issued him. 

Soon enough she was out of earshot when she noticed a hawk flying overhead. Her plan of going to Ibiki’s office to sleep on his couch was ruined, so she turned to her right and started walking in the direction of Hokage tower.

__________

“Lord Hokage, with all respect, the nine names that were just given were all my students at the academy. I know their skills and abilities, every one of them has great promise, but it’s too soon they need more experience before they are tested. If they try now they’re sure to fail the exam.” Iruka said after Asuma, Kakashi and Kurenai promoted all their students for the chunin exams. 

Shingami wasn’t amused at this and was rather glad that she never went to the academy even if she knew he meant well. She crossed her arms as she leaned against the wall beside the Hokage’s seat. A few of the Jonin that didn’t know the girl were watching her making sure she didn’t try anything with the Hokage.

Kakashi tried to reason with the academy sensei before Hiruzen brought Shingami’s name up in the conversation completely getting her once lost attention. 

“Shingami is a jonin and she is a little younger than your students are.” The Hokage said before directing his voice to the said girl. “What do you have to say about this Shingami?”

The girl backed off the wall straightening her back before she spoke. “I think they’re ready.” Iruka was about to argue with the girl before she swiftly cut him off. “I’m aware that they don’t have nearly as much experience as I do, but, they know what they’re doing, they work well in their teams, and they handle themselves well enough in a fight.”  

She walked over to an open window spotting Shikamaru and Choji walking to the place they’d always go to watch the clouds. “You don’t have to take my word for it.” A small smile appeared on the girl’s lips as she saw Shikamaru blushing at something Choji said. 

She caught Iruka’s eye and said, “Test them yourself, see how much they’ve grown.” She walked back over to the wall crossing her arms leaning against it again. “See what kind of Shinobi you helped shape them to be.”