Chapter Sixty-Seven

Shikamaru was walking around with his hands in his pockets roaming around the village with Choji by his side.

"-I'm gonna do it."

"You've been saying that for months."

"No, I'm really gonna do it. I'm gonna ask her."

"Sure. Sure."

"I'm serious, Ch-"

"Take that back, Miss Piggy!"

Shikamaru groaned upon recognizing the screech and looked through the tea shop window seeing the group of girls. He saw Shingami stuffing her face with pastries, watching Sakura arguing with Ino over something Tenten and Hinata were talking to each other warily watching the two hotheads going at each other. The boys stood in the window watching them for a minute before walking inside.

Shingami waved to them since her mouth was full and she was the first to notice the pair.

Ino turned around in her seat and gave the boys a look. "Hey guys tell Forehead over here that I should've won the match during the Chunin exams!"

"No, I should've, Pig!

"Could you guys talk any louder? I'm surprised the owners haven't kicked you out yet."

"I did Mr. Tan's heart transplant a few months ago, wait. That kind of reminds me Shinigami also Donated blood towards his operation, It's funny there was a little mistake on the documents, saying it was Shinigami's heart too."

Shinigami slowed her chewing and looked at her plate as though her appetite was ruined but she kept on chowing down, making no eye contact and not saying a word about it waiting for the conversation to take a different direction.

She looked up briefly and caught Shikamaru watching her as though encouraging her to speak.

"It wasn't a mistake, I can explain..."

She couldn't say it, though the words were right on the tip of her tongue, she just couldn't do it. The perfect moment came and left as she swallowed thickly looking past Shikamaru at the door thinking of a way to escape the mental situation she'd just put herself in.

"Shingami?'

Shikamaru's hand waved in front of her face, getting her attention and pulling her out of her dark space. "You okay?"

"...It's fine, I'm fine..." she smiled at him slightly before nudging the rest of her plate over to Choji and Shikamaru. "Here take some. I'm stuffed."

"How long have you guys been sitting here?" Shikamaru asked as he took a bun off of Shingami's plate and Choji took two and immediately started to enjoy eating with a smile on his face at the deliciousness.

"A couple hours. I'll need to go soon." Shingami said as she looked out the window, noticing Anko and Genma watching her through the window. "Why? Do you have work?" Sakura asked.

"I need to check in, I've been gone all night and most of yesterday, since Ino quite literally dragged me out of the shower in my own home."

They all looked at Ino who shrugged. "How else was I supposed to make her come with me? She's so stubborn."

"You could have waited..."

"I don't really care, I think Ibiki sent her my way anyway so if anyone is to blame it'd be him." She grabbed her cup of tea to take a sip but stopped abruptly as she realized the reason Anko and Genma were lurking around. "But I really should get going..."

She set the cup down and grabbed her mask quickly as she stood up.

"What's wrong? Can't you stay a little longer?" Choji asked as he finished off the last of the food on her plate.