Chapter Nine

The day after, Shingami finished everything she needed to do. She was sitting on the ground watching her team from under the shade of a nearby tree. She wasn’t sparing with the others but instead studying their every move to see what they’re individual strengths and weaknesses were so that if she were to fight them she would use it to her advantage and find ways to help them improve.

“Why are we training while she’s just sitting there?” Choji groaned.

“She’s evaluating your skills.”

“That’s cheating! We’ve never seen her fight before!” Ino said.

“...” Shingami nodded contently. “You’re right, you haven’t.”

She stood and looked to Asuma for permission. “May I?”

Asuma just shrugged. “Don’t be too rough.” She nodded and took a position in between the three genin her eyes flashing through the mask waiting for them to make their move. Asuma lifted his hand and the moment he let it drop the three of them went at her. Ino and Shikamaru threw kunai and choji used his Jitsu to make his hand extraordinarily large and brought it down towards her head.

“Hmm.”

She stepped to the side and Choji’s hand completely missed, leaving an indent into the ground where she had just been standing. 

“Your Jitsu is impressive, Choji. However, you need to work on your speed and agility.” As she stepped away from his hand a second time. 

As a shinobi, she was taught to always keep a leveled head and to never solely act on her emotions. But since she was never formally taught she always had a bit of a feral twist in her fighting style that never quite left her even after all these years.

She narrowly avoided Shikamaru’s shadow possession Jitsu by jumping several feet away, hardly exerting any force on the ground and landed just as lightly.

After a while of the genin attacking their jonnin counterpart and her dodging they decided to just give up. 

Well, Shikamaru did.

“This is such a drag and you haven’t even pulled made a move at us.” He complained.

Asuma decided to speak up at that moment. “She’s not allowed to spar with a blade with you three until your skill level increases enough, even though I still need to be careful around her.”

All three of the genin were now interested. “Then why don’t you two show us how it’s done?” Ino said, Choji and Shikamaru secretly wanted to know who was stronger too. 

Shingami looked to Asuma. “It’s up to you, I don’t mind.”

Asuma stood there a few moments quietly contemplating his choices as he quietly held his lit cigarette in his mouth. “Fine, any requests, Shingami?”

She merely shook her head and pulled her tento out and held it in front of her, waiting for him to make the first move.

Asuma pulled his chakra blades out of his kunai pouch and ran at her. Shingami blocked both his blades and swiped her sword in the direction of his head as she jumped back just to get in an even bigger swing at him.

He went at her at the same and both of their blades made contact with flesh, Shingami at last second moved her blade so that it would only graze Asuma’s shoulder instead of piercing right through it. While Asuma’s blades only made contact with her side but he was careful as to not show the genin the extent of Shingami’s abilities. 

Neither of them had to speak they’ve been working together for a long time and if there were others around they wouldn’t make the spar look like something of a scene from a horror book.