Ch. 34 - Sizing up the Competition

***** Brad's Point of View *****

Brad unzipped his duffel bag and put on headgear, a chest plate, shin guards, a mouth piece and sparring gloves. He watched as Keaton got into his own duffel bag and had the same things.

"I'm surprised you actually have sparring gear," Brad said, scrunching his eyebrows.

"Yeah, I came prepared. Ready to go?" Keaton asked with a hint of a smile. 

"Always," Brad told him, as he secured the velcro on his gloves with a serious expression. He was ready to return the favor and be the one to give him a swollen eye this time.

"I'm ready if you are," Keaton said, standing up with a cocky smile on his face before he slid in his mouthpiece.

Brad punched his gloves together a couple times, hopping back and forth on his feet and stretching his neck back and forth. He felt ready. He couldn't wait to wipe that smug smile off Keaton's face for good. 

The sparring ref came up to them and said, "Come to the middle and touch gloves."

Brad and Keaton both walked forward, staring each other down as they touched gloves. Then the ref backed up and threw his hand down and said, "Fight."

Brad started backing up and moving sideways in a circle, bopping back and forth between his feet and getting his bearings for a minute. Keaton aggressively rushed forward and hit him with a right hook, a left jab and then spun around and kicked him right in the center of his chest pad with his foot, knocking him onto the ground on his butt. It all happened so fast that Brad sat there stunned for a few seconds.

At his gym they usually threw some really light punches and kicks at the beginning of a sparring session to warm up. He hadn't even seen it coming. Keaton walked over and held his hand out to help him up, but Brad smacked his hand away and got to his feet on his own.

"Keep your guard up higher," Keaton said. "Try to anticipate where your opponent's going to strike and stay light on your feet so you can step to the side, duck down, lean back, whatever you have to do to avoid getting hit."

"Thanks, but I don't need your advice. I've got it," he grumbled. It was already embarrassing enough that Keaton knocked him down. He didn't want to take lessons from him too, especially now that they were starting to draw a crowd and a few people were watching.

"Ok, let's go again," Brad said with determination, walking forward and tapping his gloves to Keaton's.

The ref said, "Fight," and Keaton rushed forward again but this time Brad was able to step to the side and duck just in time to narrowly avoid getting hit. He was smiling and feeling pretty proud of himself, until Keaton dropped to the ground and did a leg sweep, knocking him off his feet and making his back hit the mat hard.

It knocked the air out of his lungs and he laid there catching his breath for a few seconds staring up at the ceiling.

Then he saw a shadow standing over him and he blinked as it came into focus, seeing Keaton standing above him with his hand stretched out, offering to help him up again. This time he begrudgingly took it and got to his feet, feeling sore but trying to play it off that he was fine.

"That was better, but you'll want to watch for that leg sweep and jump over it or step back," Keaton told him.

After a few more failed attempts Brad said, "Yeah, I think I'm good with the sparring. I don't want to overdo it and hurt myself. I've got some important games coming up," pulling his gear off and tossing it into his bag in frustration. He had endured enough embarrassment for one day and his ego and body couldn't take any more hits.