Ch. 45 - Trouble in Paradise

"Life in America is great. I'm really happy there," Keaton told her, turning to Everly and giving her a smile. "Are you okay babe?" he leaned in and whispered in her ear.

"Yeah," Everly whispered with a nod, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Ok. Just checking," he said, giving her a kiss on the cheek and reaching under the table to hold her hand on his leg.

"Well don't get too comfortable there. Before you know it you'll be moving right back here to gloomy old London," Cami said with a smile, punching his arm, right as some people came out delivering plates of food to the table in front of each of them.

Everly waited for them to finish handing out the food and then she looked over at Keaton and asked, "You're moving back here to London? Since when?"

"Uh oh. Trouble in paradise already?" his Dad Rowan asked, with a slight smile and a raised eyebrow as he took a sip of his wine and Kitty and Rupert looked amused too.

"No there's no trouble in paradise Dad. Thank you for your concern," Keaton said sarcastically. He turned to Everly and whispered, "We'll talk about this later okay? I don't feel like having this conversation in front of an audience."

Everly looked into his eyes and noticed he looked a little stressed.

"Ok," she said softly. 

She tried to stop thinking about it as they ate their lunch and the conversation moved onto other things, but she couldn't help but worry. The thought of Keaton moving back to England was playing in the back of her mind.

After lunch, as they were leaving, Cami came over and put her cheek to Everly's and made a kissing sound and did the same on the other side and said, "I'd love to spend some time with you while you're in London. Get to know the woman who stole our Keaton's heart better."

"Sure. Ummm. That would be nice," Everly said with a forced smile. She wasn't really looking forward to hanging out with her, but she agreed since Cami was Keaton's friend and she wanted to keep the peace.

Cami walked over to Keaton and gave him a long, tight hug, saying, "It was really good catching up with you Keaton. We need to visit some more while you're home." 

She looked over and gave Everly a smile and a wave as she turned and left. Cami's family said their goodbyes and left too, leaving Everly and Keaton alone with his Dad.

"So, what are your plans today Keaton?" his Dad asked.

"I'm going to take Everly out to sightsee around London. I thought we might visit some of the special places that are lit up for Christmas."

"You should take her by the palace while she's in town and show her around," his Dad suggested. 

"What palace?" Everly asked.

"Buckingham Palace of course. What other palace is there?" Rowan laughed, rolling his eyes and shaking his head, as if visiting Buckingham palace was normal conversation. He popped a walnut in his mouth non-chalantly, chewing it up.

"Yeah we might do that," Keaton nodded. "So ummm. How much are you going to be around this week Dad? I needed to have an important talk with you about something."

"Well, I plan to be around Christmas morning, but the rest of the week, your guess is as good as mine. I'll do what I can. You know how it is with work."

Keaton nodded, looking disappointed but not surprised. Everly could tell that even though him and his Dad didn't get along, he still wanted his time and attention.

"Speaking of which, I have a meeting I need to head out for," Rowan said as he got up and answered a phone call as he walked away.

Keaton took a deep breath in and let it out before holding his hand out to Everly and asking, "Ready to go see London?"