Ch. 41 - Thanksgiving in New York

***** Everly's Point of View *****

When they pulled up in the driveway her Dad's truck wasn't back yet. Her Mom was waiting at the front door looking worried when she saw Everly's face. 

"Is everything okay?" she asked, as Keaton passed by her and headed up the stairs.

"No," Everly sniffled, with tears filling her eyes. "We're leaving." 

"What?!" her Mom asked with wide eyes. "Why?" 

"Dad's been horrible to Keaton ever since we got here. It's obvious he's trying everything he can to drive him away and it worked."

"You guys can't stay and try to talk it out with him?" 

"That's what Keaton was trying to do," Everly sniffled. "He wanted to go for a drive and work things out between them without involving everybody else, but it just blew up. Dad called him a spoiled, British manwhore and told him he's the last man he would ever approve of to be with his daughter. He's still got it in his head that I'm meant to be with Brad. You know how stubborn Dad can be."

Her Mom nodded. "Oh, I'm so sorry Ev. I wanted this visit to be perfect and for us to make some nice memories. Are you sure you have to leave?" 

Everly took a deep breath in and let it out nodding. "Yeah. Keaton wanted to fly back to New York without me so I could stay and spend Thanksgiving with all of you but I don't want him to leave by himself and let Dad think he won. I'm going back with him."

Her Mom looked absolutely crushed and she stepped forward and pulled her into a tight hug. 

"I'm really sorry our visit got cut short Mom," Everly sniffled on her shoulder. She stepped back and wiped her tears, looking at her Mom's sad face. "I'm glad I at least got to help you get all the food prepped for tomorrow. All you'll have left to do is put it all in the oven."

Her Mom gave her a pained smile and said, "Thank you, but it just won't be the same without you here." 

"I know, but I'll be here with you all in heart," Everly cried giving her another hug. She pulled back and gave her a weak smile and said, "Eat some extra mashed potatoes for me and give gram and nana a hug and tell them I love them. Will you?"   

"I will sweetheart," her Mom choked out, crying as she pulled her into another hug. "I love you." 

"I love you too," Everly said, giving her one last look with a sigh. She was so sad to be leaving early, but she knew she had to.

When Everly got upstairs, Keaton had already packed his suitcase and was ready to go. She hurried and gathered her things together and threw everything in her suitcase and zipped it up. 

"Are you sure you don't want to stay here? We could switch your flight to be the same as Brad's so you won't have to fly back alone. I promise I'll be fine spending Thanksgiving alone in New York so you can spend more time here with your family. It'll give me a chance to get caught up on some work," Keaton offered.

"Absolutely not. I'm going with you. We'll just have our own little Thanksgiving together in New York at the dorm. That was the original plan anyway."

Hearing that made him smile and he leaned down and gave her a kiss, whispering, "I love you," and pretty soon they were out the door and headed towards the airport.

***** Thanksgiving Day *****

Thanksgiving morning Everly woke up early and got to work on the food right away. They had gone to the grocery store last night when they got back to New York and bought everything she needed to make a traditional Thanksgiving meal. The price of a pre-thawed turkey the day before Thanksgiving was absolutely outrageous, but Keaton paid it without a second thought.