23: Like Husband, Like Brother

"So... Hey, Jiang Cheng!"

"What do you want now?"

"At least say hello?"

Jiang Cheng sighed. "Hello, hello. What is it?"

"A-Cheng," Wei Wuxian looked at him morosely. "Why do you keep thinking I want things from you?"

"Well, you obviously ran all the way here as soon as you woke up because you want something? And where's your husband?"

Jiang Cheng turned to the sound of a girl shouting "Sect Leader!"

"QiaoQiao?"

"Sect– Hey, shixiong!"

"Good morning, A-Qiao," Wei Wuxian waved to Lin Qiao as she stopped beside her sect leader.

"Sect Leader, Baozhai-jie, she seems to be getting weaker."

"What!" Wei Wuxian darted past them in the direction from whence Lin Qiao had come. Jiang Cheng shook his head and followed Wei Wuxian, Lin Qiao anxiously explaining the situation.

"Little Zhai!" Wei Wuxian burst in through the doors. "My little Zhai! What's the matter?" He quickly took the stool beside Baozhai's bed.

Jiang Baozhai was lying on her bed, pale, shivering and sweating. A bowl of water with a damp cloth was on the bedside table. "A-Qiao, when did you get this?"

"Last night, shixiong. Baozhai-jie got badly ill last night. Reduced a bit thanks to the damp plaster," Lin Qiao explained as she sat beside Baozhai on the bed. She took Baozhai's pallid hand in hers and rubbed it to heat the skin up.

"Did Yunxi see her? Just fever or something else?" Jiang Cheng asked as he stood behind Wei Wuxian.

"Yes, Sect Leader, Yunxi came to check. Said it was just a mild fever. Might be out of... Out of depression..." Lin Qiao frowned at Baozhai.

"Look, I really am fine. I don't know why this is happening, I'm totally fine! How could I be depressed when I've been hellishly busy for the past few days advising you!" Baozhai pointed a weak finger at Jiang Cheng.

"It's not like I know!" Jiang Cheng ogled at her.

"Calm down, you two," Wei Wuxian patted Jiang Cheng's hand on his shoulder. "Little Zhai," he kept his palm on his sister's forehead. Silver eyes swelled. "You're burning up. Tell me you're not upset still."

"Shixiong, trust me, I'm way better than I was," Baozhai smiled feebly.

"Mn." Wei Wuxian nodded. "Then I'll get you some medicine?"

Baozhai shook her head. Lin Qiao explained, "Yunxi gave her medicine. Not sure if it'll work but he said it'll take at least a few hours."

"Then I'll go to town and get you something to eat? Cotton candy?" He smiled softly.

Baozhai grinned back and slowly bobbed her head.

Wei Ying ruffled her hair and stood up. "A-Cheng, A-Qiao, I'll go out and get her cotton candy. A-Qiao, keep an eye on her."

The two nodded and Wei Wuxian left the room.

**********

Wei Wuxian ran into Yunmeng. Coming to the first stall he looked around. "Where is the shop I usually get it from..."

Unawares to him, someone had stepped behind him and had leant in. "Second street to the left."

"Huh?" Wei Wuxian jumped. The soft peck on the cheek as he turned around reassured him enough to smile mid-spin. "A-Zhan!"