41: Not So Sure

"It's a pleasure to see you too, Xingguang Xian, although..." Chang'e sighed. "I was hoping to see the two of you together..."

"Moon Goddess, you can call me Wei Wuxian," Wei Wuxian stood and bowed to her.

"Young man, I know you think you're nothing without your husband. But know that he thought no different," she turned towards the bridge across the lake and beckoned her visitor to follow. Wei Wuxian nodded and walked close behind her. "Because don't forget one thing. You were made immortal for your own skill. He, on the contrary, was made an Immortal because of you. So if you're going by 'I am what I am because of him' beliefs, then it should be Lan Wangji saying that."

Wei Wuxian watched her as he walked behind her. The accuracy in her words was beyond descriptive. "Mn, I understand that."

She stopped walking and turned around. "Do you?"

Wei Wuxian also halted. "Do I what?"

"Do you really understand that he is as wonderful as he is all because of you?" She smiled knowingly.

Wei Wuxian stared back at her phoenix eyes before looking away guiltily. "I... Maybe I didn't know. I thought..."

"That you were the awful one and he saved you. Am I right?"

Wei Wuxian nodded solemnly.

"Well, I've got news," she laid a caring hand on his shoulder. "You're wrong. He was the one who always followed the strict rules, adhered to the customs, went by the book. He was the one who was cold-hearted and never spared an emotion or instinct to judge the circumstances of a situation: it was always logic. Well thought through and calculated logic. Never based on feelings, making him seem heartless. Maybe sometimes he would have made wrong decisions as he grew older. Like how he stood with his uncle and the rest until the moment you died. It was you," she placed her hand on his head. "You who changed him. From daring to drink liquor right down to rejecting the rest of the world just to stand by your side. So who do you think was the saviour?"

Wei Ying swallowed his cry and nodded. "Myself."

Chang'e smiled. "Correct. At last, you said something right," she chuckled as she turned away and walked along the bridge. "Now... Another question. Another 'Do you' question. Ready?" She spun around again.

Wei Ying smiled back. "Mn."

"Do you love him?"

Wei Ying stared at her aghast. "Is that even a question? I mean, sorry, I didn't intend for it to sound disrespectful but...?" He raised an eyebrow.

Chang'e raised her own sharper one. "Just answer. Do you or do you not?"

"Of course I do!"

"Does he love you?"

This time, Wei Ying screwed up his mouth and looked away, staring into the water silently.

Chang'e nodded. "I knew it." She walked towards him and pulled him down by the collar to sit on the bridge.

"Moon Goddess, your robes!" He cried as she sat with him and dipped her legs in the water.

"So what? Don't you do this in your Yunmeng home?"

"I... I do..."

"And in the Gusu Springs with your husband?"

"I do..."

"Then what are you shouting for?" She laughed as she lifted her robes and dangled her legs in the water knee-deep. Wei Ying followed suit, but less jovially because he was still deep in thought. "Wei Wuxian." Chang'e turned to her new friend.