24: I Know What It's Like

"ATTACK!"

Clash!

"Good! Now, parry!" The thundering voice boomed.

Clang!

"Swipe under feet!"

Swish!

"Clan Leader!" Another voice rang from across the Longzhen Manor compound.

"Xiaowen? What is it?"

"Clan Leader, Second Young Master Lan asked for you."

Liu Zhongliang nodded. "Instruct them for the moment," he waved to the troops before strolling to his brother's study.

"Gege, there you are."

"Donghai? What is it?" Clan Leader Liu sat opposite his brother who was seated across the study table.

"I was going through your plan. Why are we waiting so long? We've been training for five months, why not head out now?"

Clan Leader Liu shook his head. "No way. They've only just excelled. Wait another few weeks."

"WEEKS? Gege, too long! We need to get this done with. Soon," Liu Donghai rolled up the battle strategy scroll and handed it back to his brother.

"I'm not too sure about going yet–"

"Liu Zhongliang! Do you want that staff and ring or not?"

The taller man sighed. "Fine. Like I said, weeks. But we'll strike in... Three weeks?"

"Two," Liu Donghai said in a finalising voice.

"Right." Clan Leader Liu stood up. "Donghai, thank you for being here."

Liu Donghai stood beside his brother and patted his shoulder. "Anytime, gege." With that, both walked outside to check on the troops. 

**********

Wei Wuxian and Lan Sizhui walked into the Dining Hall together to find Lan Wangji and Lan Xichen waiting for them with the others.

"There you are," Xichen smiled.

"Wei Ying, where were you?" Lan Qiren raised an eyebrow.

Wei Ying bowed to his uncle before replying, "Went for a walk with Sizhui, Shifu."

"Hm. Sizhui, did you forget it was lunchtime?"

"Forgive me, Shifu," was all Sizhui said.

Lan Qiren subtly nodded and let them go to their seats. This time, Head Disciple Lan Sizhui got to sit right beside Wei Wuxian. Jingyi and Lan Hao sat right below them, frontmost of the other disciples.

And there was yet another change. When Lan Wangji handed the jar of chilli paste, Wei Wuxian shook his head and gently pushed the offering hand back, leaning in to whisper, "Nobody else eats it, no non-Lans today, so keep it. Save it for later. I'll eat the normal way."

Instead of whispering back, Lan Zhan spoke through their bond. It's fine, A-Ying eat it.

No, A-Zhan. Poor Jingyi might feel envious. Not fair on them. Put it back, Wei Ying shook his head before picking up his chopsticks and clipping the leafy greens. Gulping down the reluctance, he shoved the greens in his mouth and swallowed without bothering to chew. If he bit on them, he would definitely throw up. Quaffing it all down was the safest way to be a Lan. Seeing Lan Zhan still staring at him, he smiled. A-Zhan, I've got to start getting used to it anyway. I'm a Lan, aren't I?

Cotton-white ears turned pink as Lan Zhan looked away and returned to his own meal. Wei Ying chuckled softly. The excitement helped him empty his plate in seconds, to Qiren's amazement.