47: Red Rose

"Little Qiang! My darling Qiang!"

Gu Qiang giggled. "Huan-ge put me down! How can you carry me like I'm still a six-year-old little girl! I'm twenty-six, do you hear me? Twenty-six!" She flailed her fists against his head. "Put me down!"

"No, I won't!" Lan Huan chuckled. "I'll not let you run off again," he smiled as he twirled with her in his arms, spinning around and around as their white robes fluttered in the breeze he kicked up.

"Huan-ge," Gu Qiang's giggles ceased and she looked down at him, pale, slender fingers stroking his hair lovingly. "I promise, I won't go anywhere again."

"Sadly," Wei Wuxian, watching it all happily, pouted and crossed his arms as he walked towards his brother- and sister-in-law. "A-Zhan told me you're as tactful as gege, smiles like me. But you also talk like A-Zhan. Which means there's a high risk of you breaking your promise so..." He turned to Xichen. "Gege, tie her up at Cloud Recesses. I'm going to tie A-Zhan with my red ribbon, you tie her up with a new headband, don't let her run away."

Xichen slowly put Gu Qiang down and smiled at his brother. "I don't think A-Zhan will do it again, didi."

"Hmph, doubt it," Wei Wuxian pouted and side-glanced at his husband. Lan Wangji was staring at the grass guiltily. Wei Wuxian walked to him. With a fingernail on his chin, he raised his head and pecked him on the lips. "I'm never forgiving you, but I'm never leaving you either so don't look so sad."

Lan Zhan smiled and the tips of his ears turned red as he nodded to his husband.

"Hello, stop staring at me like you're going to eat me right now, go hug your sister!" Wei Wuxian chuckled.

"Mn," Lan Wangji walked past him to Gu Qiang. "Qiang-Er."

"Zhan-ge!" Gu Qiang flung her hands around her brother. Wei Wuxian watched proudly as a brilliant smile blossomed on her face as she looked over Lan Wangji's shoulder at him, her eyes conveying all the gratitude in the world.

Her smile really is mine, Wei Wuxian thought as he nodded to her.

Lan Wangji held on to his sister for a long time, neither saying a word. Gu Qiang was the first to let go.

"You're doing good?"

"Mn," Gu Qiang nodded.

"Gu Feng?"

"You still detest calling him uncle, Wangji," Xichen shook his head as he walked to stand with them. "How is he, Little Qiang?"

"Gone," Gu Qiang looked downcast.

"Qiang-Er," Lan Wangji caressed her cheek.

"She told me earlier. He died in a night hunt," Wei Wuxian explained from behind them. "Just like Lan Xiang. See? She's a lot like me!"

"Indeed she is," Nie Huaisang bowed to her. "Lady Lan, good to meet again. I remember seeing you when Qingheng-Jun and these two came with you to my Unclean Realm."

"Mn," Gu Qiang bowed back. "I... I heard about Da-Ge... Apologies and condolences," she inclined her head.

Huaisang flapped his fan to cool his face. "It's all over, Lady Lan, but thank you. Has Jiang-xiong met her too?"

"Oh yes, I remember taking Little Qiang to Yunmeng. Wanyin, do you remember her?" Xichen turned around to his right. "Wanyin? Where did he go?"

"PFFT!" Wei Wuxian clutched his waist as he burst out laughing. "Little Qiang, it worked!" Wei Wuxian raised his palm to high-five her.

Gu Qiang frowned and stared back.

"Oh come on! You really are like A-Zhan! Come on, high five!"