Chapter 18....

Wyatt

"You're coming to the game right?" Mateo asked as we ate. I could tell he was trying to hide the plea in his voice about me coming.

"Of course. I'm not missing you kick ass in the championship." I nodded. Like I would miss my baby brothers big game.

"Wyatt language." My mom scolded.

"It's not like he hasn't heard it before Ma."

"Yeah but you and Landon need to lead by example for your younger brother."

"Yeah Wyatt." The smug bastard smirked over at me. We all knew the moment mom was out of ear range he would swear like a sailor.

"How's the rink doing Lan?" I asked as I kicked Mateo under the table. Not wanting to be scolded he held back his yelp but glared at me.

"It's going good. The team filled up pretty fast this year." Landon played hockey in college like I did and was actually quite good but he didn't love it as much as I did. While I lived and breathed the sport Landon enjoyed it. 

Actually wasn't until last year he decided to open the rink. Quit his desk job at some accounting firm and decided to do something he actually enjoyed. And honestly he was a great coach. The kids loved him which was an added bonus.

"Have you thought about hiring some more people to help out and coach? If you got enough kids you could make another whole team." I suggested.

"I've thought about it." He answered truthfully. "But we aren't really at a place to afford advertisement and stuff like that."

"You know I can-"

"Don't even finish that sentence." He snapped. Here we go. "I won't take any of your money."

I ground my teeth at the same argument we've had time and time again. I've even had this argument with my mom. Playing professional hockey paid well, more than well but neither of them would ever let me do anything to help.

When Landon bought the rink he wouldn't let me give him a single dime to go towards it. Instead insisting he can handle it on his own. We fought so bad about it I didn't talk to him for a good month.

And my mom...I've tried so hard to give her money or to buy her a new house. A better house. But every single time she said no. Said she wasn't going to leave our childhood home where so many memories were had. She barely let me pay for slight upgrades in the house.

Mateo was pretty much the only person here who would gladly let me pay for anything he wanted; and not that I did either. If he wanted something he had to work for it himself, just like how Landon and I did when we were his age.

Not wanting to get into it tonight I backed off.

"The offer is out there if you need." I said putting my hands up. Landon didn't say a word as he turned back to his food. From the corner of my eye I saw Mateo sit up and instantly knew what he was going to say.

"Can Wyatt buy me a-"

"No."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Something is different about you" A hand on my arm caused me to turn my attention to my mom who was sitting beside me on the couch. My mom looked at me with a soft expression as she studied my face.

"There is?"

"You seem...lighter. Happier."

"I'm just happy to be home." By the look on her face she didn't believe me.