Chapter 37: Chance Encounter

The sky darkened quickly in the winter. Tang Shishi returned to the Jianjia courtyard with a lantern. The maids rushed up, waiting for Tang Shishi to untie the cloak, and changed to home clothes.

Dujuan was tidying Tang Shishi's clothes while complaining, "Three days of vacation for newlyweds do not consider a lot. The county magistrate's old man gave nine days of vacation after getting married. Today is only the next day, and you have to go work already."

Tang Shishi laughed, "It's Shizi who got married, but not me. What vacation do I have? This is Wangye's decision, so let's not talk more about it."

Dujuan just grunted in disagreement, who dared to really question Zhao Chengjun's decision. Tang Shishi put on the soft-soled shoes she wore at home and wore a light comfortable dress. Dujuan asked, "Miss, the dinner is ready. Do you want to have it now or take a rest first?"

Tang Shishi thought for a while and said, "Have it now."

"Yes."

Dujuan led a maid to set up the dining table. Tang Shishi caressed the little fox for a while and went to the dining room for dinner in no hurry.

Although Tang Shishi has a small kitchen in her own courtyard, it was too troublesome to turn on the stove. Tang Shishi did not dare to give preferential treatment to herself, so she always followed the main kitchen for her meals. There were rules for everything in the Prince Jing mansion, such as what status was worth what kind of treatment, how much salary earned a month, how many dishes could be ordered for each meal, and how many new clothes could be made every quarter. As for Tang Shishi, her monthly salary was 12 Liang, four dishes and one soup for each meal in the morning, noon, and evening, four clothes for each quarter, and new jewelry every New Year.

If she did not have enough clothes to wear or wanted to eat other dishes, she has to spend her own money to go to the sewing room or kitchen. As a matter of fact, it was absolutely not enough for womenfolk to rely on the public's share rules.

Putting aside the appetite for the moment, just about clothing, who could only wear four clothes in a season? Even if the piece adjusted back and forth, it would be too shabby.

Not to mention, the ten beauties from the imperial palace were still in vogue. They were sure to be laughed at if any of them wore repetitive clothes.

In fact, it was not that Tang Shishi's share was low, on the contrary, her salary was already the only one in the mansion, and her monthly offerings were the same as that of Tongxiu Gugu. Of course, Tongxiu has been in charge of internal affairs for many years, and private profits were counted separately, but the salary level of the two people was the same.

Tang Shishi was like this, but Ji Xinxian was far behind. When Ji Xinxian and others entered the imperial palace, their families prepared a generous amount of private money for them. Now they could still rely on their old capital to support themselves. After a while, perhaps they would be stretched out.

That was why women were brooding about the right of housekeeper. After all, whoever was the housekeeper would hold the money and connections. No matter what the man said, the money in hand was the real deal.

Tang Shishi sat down at the table and found six dishes on it. Tang Shishi scanned with her eyes and asked, "Why is there one more?"

"Miss, this is the dessert from the main kitchen today. They said that the milk sent from the Zhuangzi recently was fresh, so they made cheese for you and asked you to try it."

Tang Shishi smiled, "Yang Mama is polite. When the people from the main kitchen come back tomorrow, thank Yang Mama for me."

The person in charge of the kitchen was old woman Yang, who was used to hold on to the high and step on the low. Now Tang Shishi was in full swing, and she changed her method every day to curry favor with Tang Shishi. Although the portions for each person were well-prescribed, the rules were dead, and people were alive. As long as the main kitchen thought about it, there were plenty of workarounds.