1. Stormy Night (Embry Call)

Rain poured from the sky and an occasional crack of thunder broke the quiet sounds around us, but it didn't bother me. I was happily perched on top of Embry Call's lap, my head resting on his shoulder and my hand entwined with his. We were simply relaxing in my living room because he had been patrolling the forest all day and was dog tired (pun intended!). I was more than happy to share a stormy evening just cuddling with my quiet werewolf, though.
   'Footloose' played on the TV with the volume turned down so low that I could hardly hear it, but neither of us were watching it. Embry loved the movie for some reason, so I would watch it often for him. I could even recite parts of scenes now! It wasn't my favorite movie, though; the only reason I owned it was so we could watch it together.
   Suddenly, Embry shifted a little bit and I tilted my head up slightly. I had thought that he had fallen asleep, but the light from the TV showed me that I was wrong. His caramel colored skin was lit up by the movie and his chocolate colored eyes moved from the screen down to me. I gave him a smile and he surprised me as he lowered his head a little and gently captured my lips with his. Gently and lovingly, he kissed me for a minute before pulling away so we could both catch our breath. Then, he gave me a shy smile, which made me laugh quietly.
   "What was that for?" I asked in a whisper. Another crack of thunder sounded as he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear.
   "My amazing imprint," He murmured. Smiling, I attempted to get even closer to him and he wrapped his arms around me, resting his cheek against the top of my head. He might be shy and quiet and he might battle vampires, but he was a wonderful boy.
   "I love you," I mumbled, taking in his woodsy scent that came from running through the trees all day.
   "I love you back," He replied just as quietly, giving me a gentle squeeze.

(Published August 21, 2021)