13. Sushi Eating Vampire (Edward Cullen)

I loved Friday night dates with Edward Cullen.  He was sweet, a perfect gentleman yet playful now and then, and he acted as human as he could every date.  Each time, I opened the door to find him with some kind of flower, just one, in his grasp for me!  Even my parents couldn't argue with the fact that he was a sweetheart.  
   The mind reading thing could be a pain, but I was trying to get used to it.  
   This Friday, we were seated in a small sushi restaurant.  Edward had insisted on a table in the back corner, which the waitress hardly needed to be asked twice.  He had a way with stunning women that always got him his way.  Not that I was going to complain!  I enjoyed the privacy of the back corners of restaurants.  
   Delicious aromas filled the air as gentle music drifted from the speakers as we, well, I placed my food order.  The lighting was surprisingly bright and it made his eyes look unusually yellow.  Me, being a complete nerd, tried hard not to smile each time I met his gaze.  His small smirk let me know that he already knew how much I loved their color, though.  That darn mind reading gift!  
   "You have no idea how nice it is to know what's going on inside your head, though." He reached a hand across the table to take hold of mine.  
   "No, I have an idea!" I objected with a small smile.  "You know how often I want to know what others' are thinking." 
   He tipped is head to the side slightly in acknowledgement.  "You know you only have to ask for my thoughts." 
   "I know." I gave his cold hand a squeeze.  "So what are you thinking, Cullen?" 
   "How much I love it when you wear this shirt." He admitted, his fingers brushing the dark violet sleeve of my shirt.  "It draws attention to your hair.  And brings out the blue in your eyes." 
   I blushed, averting my eyes.  "You said that navy blue brought out the blue in my eyes." 
   "It does, even more than this purple.  But I like the softer accent of this better." 
   Glancing up at him, I found him giving me a gentle smile that set my heart fluttering.  However, the waitress took that moment to bring the food, so the moment was subtly interrupted.  She set down the steaming Chicken Bulgogi in front of me and asked Edward once again if she could get him anything.  He objected, as he always did, and she left us, well, me to my meal.  
   "You said you could eat human food if you had to." I mused after a minute, remembering a conversation from a previous date.  
   "I can." He nodded.  
   "Wouldn't that be more normal than not ordering anything at all?" I pointed out.  
   He seemed to consider it for a moment, but his eyes never left my face as he thought.  I simply gazed back, chewing on a bite of my food.  
   "I'd rather not waste the food." He finally answered.  
   "True." I glanced down at my meal.  There was no way I could eat it all.  Left overs for lunch, though!  Unless...  "Would you every try Bulgogi, though?" 
   "It smells intriguing..." 
   Scooping a piece of chicken and some veggies onto my fork, I held it up in his direction.  He quirked one eyebrow, his eyes searching mine for a minute.  I figured he wouldn't eat it, since he was a vampire and all, but I needed something to pick on him about!  I gazed back with the fork still extended to him.  The chicken steamed on the tines, it's scent wafting through the air.  
   Suddenly, his lips twitched into a quick smile and he leaned towards the fork.  In one smooth movement, he took the bite, chewed, and swallowed!  I stared at him in surprise for a minute, utterly shocked.  Then, I leaned back in my chair and grinned.  
   "Well, I certainly didn't expect that!" 
   He chuckled.  "You practically dared me to." 
   "And you dared me to jump out of a tree into your arms!  I didn't do it!" 
   "You wanted to know if I could eat or not, though.  You were curious." 
   I paused for a second before laughing a little.  "Yeah, I was."  
   He leaned across the table, his playful grin making my heart stutter.  "Now you know." 
  "Guess I do." I whispered, his nearness affecting my brain.  
   His smile widened a little as he sat back in his chair.  "Finish up, sweetheart.  We still have a sunset to catch." 

(Published June 5, 2022)