23. Sparkly Wolf Girl (Paul Lahote)

(Published July 21, 2023)

   Warm, bright sunshine streamed from the sky, making for a rare beautiful day.  The beach was packed because of it!  There was hardly more than six feet between the blankets spread across the hot sand, except for by us.  There was a huge space between our blankets and the nearest townsfolks'.  Not that I minded; I liked hanging out with the 'gang of La Push', as people called them.  
   Suddenly, Paul ran over and flopped on the blanket in front of me.  He grinned, his white teeth stark against his dark skin which was slightly flushed from running around the beach with his brothers. 
   "Hey baby." 
   "Hi you." I smiled back, setting aside my book.  "Having fun?" 
   "Ho yeah.  Beach football is my game." He chuckled. 
   "And here I thought it looked more like wrestling." I teased, referring to the rough way the boys played their sport down by the water.  
   "Only when they let me loose." He wiggled his eyebrows playfully.  "I don't play nice." 
   "Trust me, everyone knows." I rolled my eyes.  "It's a good thing you guys heal quickly." 
   "Yeah," He said distractedly.  
   I tore my gaze from the pack, who were still playing ball, and found him giving me a lingering once over.  I knew I wasn't wearing anything out of the ordinary or skimpy, so I sent him a questioning look.  When his gaze returned to my face, he raised an eyebrow at my expression.  
   "What?" I asked inquiringly.  
   "Do you have enough sunscreen on?" He asked, becoming serious.  
   I glanced down at my tanned arms on which the sunscreen caught the sun and made tiny sparkles.  "Darling, I have so much sunscreen on that I'm nearly a vampire." 
   Now it was his turn to give me a questioning look.  
   Grinning, I explained.  "The sunscreen sparkles when the sun hits it.  Vampires sparkle in the sun.  Get it?" 
   "Oh damn," He snickered with a shake of his head.  
   "Hey, it made you laugh!" 
   He snickered again and scooted up closer to me on the blanket.  "It did.  But baby, I think you ought to be warned about what I do to vampires." 
   I leaned my head on his warm shoulder, not concerned in the least.  "Oh, I know all about it." 
   "Do you, though?" He grasped one of my hands in his, lacing our fingers together.  "Did you know that I eat them for lunch?" 
   "Not if they bite you first." 
   Just to take him by surprise, I turned my head and gently put my teeth on the side of his neck.  He froze for half a second before a low growl escaped his lips.  Then, to my surprise this time, he pushed me down onto my back on the blanket and brought his face close to mine, trapping me with his strong arms.  
   "Hi?" I gave him a cheesy grin.  
   "You're such a stinker." He murmured, brushing his nose against mine.  
   "Sometimes, but you love me anyway." 
   "That I do.  Sparkly skin and all." 
   He interrupted my giggles with a chaste kiss to my lips.  When he tried to pull away, I wrapped my arms around him to pull him close again.  He playfully grumbled something unintelligible before giving in and kissing me again.  This time when he pulled back, I beamed up at him.  
   "Love you, Wolfy." I said softly.  
   "Love you, Sparkles." He replied with a twinkle in his eyes.  
   "Hey!" I objected to the nickname with a laugh, lightly smacking his shoulder.  He just laughed along with me.