3. So Hot (Paul Lahote)

"Hey," A familiar voice uttered. With a small grin, I turned to find Paul Lahote, a regular as of Friday, smirking at me.
   "Hey Paul. Come to try the next one on the menu?" I asked, blushing slightly under his confident gaze.
   "Actually, I've come to ask you if you'd try me?" He asked quietly, his eyes flickering away for a brief second of nerves. I smiled at this.
   "Why, Mr. Lahote, are you asking me out?" I whispered, flattered and surprised.
   "Definitely." He chuckled.
   Leaning closer to him over the counter, I glanced down at the speckled pattern. Paul Lahote had a reputation around of being a 'bad boy with a temper' and 'picky about the girls he likes'. He was hot, though, and I had a temper of my own. What would it hurt? I decided to give him a shot.
   "Say Saturday, four o'clock?" I murmured.
   "It's a date. Oh, and I like to get a Dark Chocolate Mocha, too." He winked at me.
   Laughing slightly to myself, I rung in his order and whipped up his coffee. I could feel his gaze on me, and I felt like melting just like the whipped cream on the scalding drink in front of me. I had seen him flirt with other girls, but he would get distracted by passing attractive women and not commit to any of them. I had never seen him focus on any girl quite this much! I wondered what had changed.
   "Careful, it's hot." I warned as I handed over his drink.
   "Like you?" He flirted. I blushed, but he leaned a little closer and lowered his voice. "So hot."
   And with a wink, he sauntered out of the coffee shop!

(Published August 22, 2021)