17. Suicide (Seth Clearwater)

(Published June 23, 2023) 

   Tap tap tap.
   I froze in surprise, my eyes flicking to my window. The knock sounded again, and I wasn't sure what to do or how to respond! My bedroom was on the second floor of our old farmhouse, with a small slanted roof just outside my window, but it was still too far off the ground for anyone to get to it. The moon showed the shadow of a person on my curtains, though, and the knocking came again.
   Now for the question: was it a friend or foe? And what idiot would climb onto my roof in December while it's snowing? As my tired brain tried to figure it out, the knocking paused, and my phone lit up. I grabbed it, seeing a text from my boyfriend, Seth, who was apparently the idiot on my roof!
   Quietly walking over to the window, I pushed the curtains out of the way to find an adorable familiar face grinning sheepishly through the glass. I opened the window for him, shivering as the chilly winter air whooshed in around him, and he slid easily onto my wooden floor. He was quick to close the window behind him. I stared at him for a moment, slightly delirious and confused.
   "Hi." He whispered.
   "Hi. What were you doing? Don't walk on my roof!" I whispered back. He chuckled.
   "I figured that, instead of calling you at two a.m., I could just sneak over and talk with you in person. Besides, I knew I was going to have nightmares tonight anyway, so if I hang out and watch you sleep, maybe it'll distract me." He admitted quietly, rubbing his neck nervously at the last part. "And I couldn't really walk on your roof, it was too slippery. I just kind of crawled across it."
   "No duh, it's icy! It's freaking December." I shook my head in amazement. "Basically suicide, if you ask me!"
   "You're worth it!" He replied cheekily.
   Instead of answering, I just hugged him tightly. He was sweet, and I knew the nightmares about the fight against Victoria were hard for him, so I wasn't about to kick him out. I wasn't sure I liked the idea of him in my room, but I also did trust him. So, I did the only thing I knew would be safe and fun for both of us.
   "Shall we watch a movie? I've got a dual headphone adapter." I suggested.
   "Can I pick the movie?" He asked. I nodded and he grinned happily, heading for my bookshelf that I kept my movies in. While he browsed the titles, I stacked the pillows and blankets on my bed, so we had a comfy, warm place to hang while we watched whatever he picked. Smiling to myself, I knew tonight was gonna be a good night, even though both of us would likely fall asleep halfway through the film. It was a cute, romantic thing to do, though, and I could hardly wait!