22. After Midnight Again (Jacob Black)

(Published July 2, 2023) 

   My bare feet made little sound on the linoleum flooring as I padded into the kitchen. Despite my quiet, sleepy steps, I knew he still could hear me coming. The sound of the sink running met my ears, which meant he was probably washing his hands again. Which meant he had been in a fight again. Blinking the sleepiness from my eyes, I stepped through the doorway and spotted his silhouette that was lit by moonlight from the window in front of the sink.
   I wasted no time in moving around the table to him. Stepping behind him, I wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged him from behind. He was hot and sweaty, two more signs that there had been a fight. Still, I rested my cheek on his shoulder blade and held him close. After a few seconds, I could feel his muscle starting to release the tension and his breathing slowed into a normal pace. 
   "Are you hurt?" I whispered.
   "No."
   Relief washed through me at that. "Did any of you get hurt?"
   "Paul took some clawing to the back. He'll be okay."
   Jacob turned off the sink and dried his hands on the towel lying beside it. Then, keeping my arms around him, he turned around inside my embrace to face me. His hands gently moved to cup my face. It was hard for me to make out his features in the dark, but I knew his enhanced eyesight had no problem seeing mine. I tried to give him a small smile, but I was still tired and my brain wasn't working well.
   "You don't have to worry about me." He murmured.
   "Yes, I do." I argued softly. "I love you."
   His mouth quirked up into a half smile. "I love you, too. But you know I won't get hurt."
   "Just because you're buff doesn't mean you're invincible." I rolled my eyes playfully.
   "Nearly, though." He joked, his thumb gently stroking my cheek.
   "I can still worry."
   Leaning closer, he pressed a kiss to my forehead. His hands slid down to my waist and he pulled me into a tight hug, his face tucking into my neck. I hugged back, my arms going around his neck.
   "I worried about you." He whispered into my hair.
   "Me?"
   He took in a shaky breath. "My being with you makes you a target. They mentioned you tonight and I... I nearly had a heart attack, Jaelyn."
   "You don't have to worry, hun."
   He pulled back from the hug and I was sure that, if I could make out his features, he was giving me a disbelieving look.
   "They can't hurt me if I'm invincible, too!" I teased.
   "You're such a brat." He laughed, his hands moving along my sides to tickle me.
   "Stop! Uncle, uncle!" I cried, trying to get away and failing.
   Still laughing, he stopped the tickles. Instead, he swept me up in his arms bridal style and carried me through the house to my bedroom. Dropping me on my bed, he leaned down to kiss my forehead once more.
   "Sleep well, sweetie. I'm going to go crash, too."
   "You sleep well, too. Don't worry about me, I'll probably still be sleeping when you wake up." I giggled. I always slept in longer than him, and that was saying something!
   "Then I'll come wake you up! We've got plans with the pack tomorrow, remember?" He said, pausing in the doorway.
   "Ugh, but my beauty sleep." I protested playfully.
   "Can't let you get too much of it. If you get anymore beautiful, I'll have to beat other guys off with a stick!"
   "Ha." I shook my head with a snort. "It's a good thing you're cute, 'cause you're cheesy."
   "S'why you love me." He chuckled. "Good night, my beauty."
   "G'night, my love!"