20. Family (Jacob Black)

(Published July 2, 2023) 

   "So, when do I get to meet your family?"
   I glanced up from the shelf of books in Walmart at him, surprised at the question. We had only been together a month, but it was December, and I knew this question had been coming. The holidays were coming up, which meant family, which meant me inviting him to supper, which meant awkward family and boyfriend time... I wasn't much looking forward to it, honestly. I had even planned on maybe just inviting him over for New Years so my family would be slightly occupied, and it would be easier on all of us, but it was looking like he wasn't thinking the same way.
   "Um... I don't know, why?" I asked, already knowing the answer. He gave me a small smile and stuffed his hands into his jean pockets.
   "Well, I was planning on spending the holidays with you." He told me, and I smiled, nodding. "But I should probably meet your family, first."
   I nodded again, placing my hand on his shoulder. "Let's buy these presents, go get some coffee, and I'll tell you all the horror stories before we set a time for you to meet them, huh?"
   Laughing, he began pushing the cart towards the front of the store and I followed with a slightly worried grin. "They can't be any worse than my family issues, beautiful. I'm not too worried."
   "Well, that makes one of us." I murmured, making him laugh again.