10. Halt, Cease, Desist! (Jasper Hale)

I was completely at peace, reading my book and soaking in the last few rays of sun the trickled through the trees. A light breeze blew through the summer air and I couldn't think of a better place in the world to be at this very moment.
   Or I was at peace, until two large hands covered my eyes and obstructed my vision! With a small smile, I closed my book. Then, tipping my head back away from his hands, I looked up at Jasper. He stood behind my chair with a playful grin, moving his hands to my shoulders.
   "Good evening, gorgeous." He murmured, giving my forehead a quick kiss.
   "Hi! I didn't expect to see you for another hour." I admitted.
   "Hunting was a little too easy today, so we returned early." He told me.
   "Ah. Well, I won't complain."
   "I figured." He chuckled.
   Sitting back up, I took my time in tucking my bookmark between the pages. As I did so, his fingers moved closer to my neck and began massaging my shoulders a little bit. I sighed in content. His massages were so gentle, compared to others I had been subjected to in the past. And even though I knew what came next, I didn't object.
   Too soon, it happened. His fingers skillfully started tickling my neck! I squealed in protest and jumped out of my chair, away from him. He followed, though, laughing as he easily grabbed me in his long arms and started tickling my sides! I tried to cry out between my gasps of laughter, but he was too strong for me.
   "Stop!" I gasped, squirming in his grip.
   "But you're too cute!" He argued playfully. "And too ticklish."
   "Stop! Please stop! Halt, cease, desist!" I cried out, tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard.
    Finally giving in, he stopped the horrible tickling and hugged me instead. "You're cute."
   "You already said that." I pointed out breathlessly.
   "But it's true." He tucked his face into the crook of my neck and hummed happily. "You're my cute baby girl."
   Shaking my head, I leaned into his hug a bit and smiled up at the darkening sky. "I'm yours, all right. Completely and utterly devoted to you."
   "Good." He kissed my neck softly. "Because I'm devoted to you, too."

(Published August 28, 2021)