6. Just The Way You Are (Jared Cameron)

(Based on the song 'Just The Way You Are' by Bruno Mars) 

   The car came to a complete stop in the unfamiliar driveway and Jared cut the engine. "Here we go."
   I sucked in a nervous breath. I was going to meet his parents and I knew it was silly to make a big deal out of it, but... I was. It had taken me four different outfits and about an hour to decide which was the most classy while being casual and showing who I was. Not an easy task, I must admit. Now, as I put on my brave face, I slowly climbed out of the car.
   "Do I look okay?" I asked Jared as he came to stand beside me at the front of the car. He gave me a crazy smile and I raised an eyebrow, unsure of what it meant. That was when he started singing, slightly off key and with a huge smile!
   "When I see your face. There's not a think that I would change 'cause girl you're amazing just the way you are. And when you smile. The whole world stops and stares for a while 'cause you're amazing. Just the way you are."
   Silence followed for a moment before I burst out laughing. I grabbed him in a hug and he began chuckling as well. Feeling a little better, I pulled away. His parents couldn't be that scary if they raised a crazy kid like Jared!
   "Lovely performance." I told him and he bowed playfully. "But how do I look, really?"
   He looked down at me, another smile slowly growing on his face. I waited for him to answer somewhat impatiently. "There aren't words in the dictionary for how good you look."
   "Good gravy, you got that off the internet!"
   "Dang, I forgot you have pretty much every internet account possible. Uh..."
   "Let's just go meet your parents before they think we're crazy."
   "Which we are."
   "Which you are."
   He led me up to the deck, but paused once we were there. Turning to face me, he leaned forward slightly.
   "If they don't like you, I promise I'll run away to Denmark with you." He whispered.
   I rolled my eyes with a candid smile. He was a little dramatic at times.
   "That's very optimistic of you." I teased. He shrugged.
   "Just planning for the worst." He assured me. "'Cause you're amazing just the way you are."
   Groaning, I quickly pressed my lips to his before pulling away and shaking off my nerves. I thought I saw a curtain move in one of the front windows, but I wasn't positive. I decided to ignore it. I was probably paranoid from my nervousness.
   "Shall we get this over with?" I asked. He nodded and opened the screen door.
   "Madam, your dinner party awaits." He spoke in a horrible British accent. I couldn't help but laugh as he opened the front door. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all! At least, not with my crazy boyfriend around.

(Published August, 27, 2021)