641 - 660

Chapter 641 SettingsThe Beast in the Water

Shao Xuan and Tuo stared with their full attention at the riverbank.

Compared to Shao Xuan, Tuo stayed a little farther away from the riverbank. He knew his safety limits. If he got any closer than that, he wouldn't be able to hide when the "thing" appeared, so he didn't want to take any risks. After so many years of hunting, he already knew his safety limits when faced with a fierce beast of a certain level, and he didn't want to risk his life.

A sound came from the Gu tribe's location again. Perhaps the patrolling soldiers of the Gu tribe came across another beast, but Shao Xuan paid no attention to the noise. He concentrated entirely on the movements in the riverbank.

After about another hour, insects that had started chirping quieted down once again.

It's here!

Shao Xuan and Tuo tensed up in the trees where they hid. They forced all of their pores shut and did not reveal a trace of their aura and breath. In case when the wind blew, their scents wouldn't be detected. They knew the level of the beast they were facing, so they stayed vigilant.

When ripples formed in the water, it seemed like something was moving towards the riverbank from inside the river. Water trickled down the figure that rose from underwater, and moonlight reflected off its wet figure.

Under the moonlight, a strange creature came out from the river. Shao Xuan couldn't tell what it was for a while. He only knew that this was a giant beast because the trickle paths on the creature's back was unusually long. Perhaps the water was flowing down from the creature's back and spine. The part of the creature above water was around ten metres tall, but Shao Xuan still couldn't tell how tall or wide the creature was underwater. He didn't dare to keep looking in the beast's direction because intelligent beasts were usually sensitive to being watched.

Shao Xuan relaxed and looked over with a different vision. Now, Shao Xuan was really shocked.

The river, leaves, and trees all disappeared. Only the rocks and branches appeared as different shades of grey. It was as if the world's skin had been stripped off, and only light outlines and structures were left. There, a massive beast skeleton was approaching them.

How big was it?

Shao Xuan couldn't be sure, but judging by its skeletal structure, it was about twenty metres long if it crawled on the ground.

The skeleton of the creature looked like a long lizard, but its neck was a lot longer than a lizard's. Long enough so only its head protruded from the river, and its body remained underwater. Its thick hind limbs were close to each other and it looked like an alligator waddling in the water. Its front limbs were thinner and would paddle once or twice as it swam forward. As for the head...

Shao Xuan looked closer. In his special vision, he could see there was not only a giant beast's head, but also another skeleton of a smaller beast. The beast was biting on a smaller beast in its mouth.

When the giant beast almost reached the shore, Shao Xuan looked away and no longer stared in its direction.

Suddenly, it was as if a sharp vision beam scanned across the region. Even though the vision was formless, Shao Xuan felt as if an invisible cold blade scraped across his body.

That was the beast scanning the area before it approached the shore. Shao Xuan looked away because he didn't want to come into eye contact with the giant beast. If their eyes met, no matter how hard Shao Xuan tried to hide, he wouldn't be able to escape the beast's eyes. This was his speculation. He was sure that beast had this ability.

Chronicles of the Primordial Wars IIIOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara