𝙴𝚕 𝙳í𝚊 𝙳𝚎 𝙻𝚘𝚜 𝙼𝚞𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚘𝚜

(Day of the dead)

Life always had a way of detaining its terrors, just to come in the worst ways. Kai's was the absolute worst.

It was early in the year of 2021 when Kai got a call from her father of the news.

The news not only sent Kai into a paralyzed shock, she just remembered feeling very numb, like her whole world would fall from the sky at any moment, as she just waited for the end... It felt like the end.

"Kai- sweetheart are you there-" The man on the other side, in between sobs was able to mumbles out, concerned for his daughter's well being. The man wasn't doing any better than she was, but his pride was keeping him from spewing out his emotions over the phone, especially to his daughter.

He wasn't sure what to feel, pain, sorrow? He couldn't choose, scratch that, he couldn't even think. His first instinct was to call his daughter, and she picked up immediately. At first, he couldn't find words, not one. He calmed himself down, as he finally pulled himself enough to tell his young daughter the tragic news.

"K-kai, I'm so sorry, i-" his apologies worried the girl on the other end of the line. She had been with Changbin at the gym, working out. She was listening to music, when the call run got in her ears, surprised anyone called. Once she saw her father's contact name, she felt something wrong, something serious about this call.

When she called out into the phone, the silence that she was met with, it ignited  fear in her, causing her voice to raise, with worry and fear. Changbin was next to her. He had become worried when she dared to look at the phone in the first place, the moment he realized her face was filled with a sorrowful expression , he knew, Kai's life would change, most likely for the worst.

"Apa- what d-do y-you mean? No thi-s can't be happening!" Kai didn't have time to react; she had broken into tears, and once she felt her knee wobble, they had buckled her to the floor.

Changbin rushed in front of the kneeled girl, trying to read every expression. His eyes met with hers , they were filled with pain. It wasn't like pain he had seen before in her eyes, this felt different, much more powerful, almost mournful. Questions went off in his head, but he never asked them, in the state Kai was in, she couldn't even stabilize herself, much less think clearly.

"Kai, talk to me?" Changbin's soft voice hollowed out, trying to calm the brunette fairly down. She was creating a sense, but his only worry was to make sure his friend was okay.

"Changbin." The boy heard on the other end of the phone, Kai and hanging him the phone, Changbin's face filled with worry. He gulped before he answered.

"Yes?" Changbin answered in a static tone, he had no idea what was happening, but by the way Kai couldn't bring herself to show her face to him, he new this was bad.

"Ah, Changbin, please. Kai's mother just passed away, but please, may you get Kai home, she needs to grieve, please." The man on the other end, that Changbin recognized as Do-young Choi, Kai's father, pleaded, illustrating a picture as if he was actually pleading on his knees.

"Y-yes, sir. I am so sorry for your loss, I'll get back to you when Kai is at home safe, I'll even call Yeonjun." Changbin suggested. He wanted Kai, as comfortable as possible. She needed her family. Even if the boys had become her family, nothing compared to the people she knew since she was able to piece memories together, she needed Yeonjun.

~~~

Wrapped under the covers of her and Chan's room, she felt numb. There were no tears left to cry, after what seemed like days she had let the waterworks spew, but really, it had only been an hour. Changbin was under the covers with her, he hadn't let go of her since the call, and he wasn't planning on letting go anytime soon.