TWENTY - FOUR. | RED-HEADED CHEW TOY

HARRY, LEADING HERMIONE AND RON TOWARD HAGRID'S HUT, PULLED HIS TWO FRIENDS ALONG, SCAMPERING PAST THE EXECUTIONER THAT SHARPENED THEIR AXE IN THE COURTYARD.

"I can not believe they're going through with this - killing Buckbeak! It's too horrible," Hermione grieved; shuddering when the garroter could no longer be perceived. "Ugh," Harry groaned; pointing ahead for them to see, "Well, it just got worse." There, before them, was Pansy Parkinson, along with Crabbe and Goyle, lurking within a group of monolithic menhirs, binoculars in hand, spying on Hagrid, who stood in the pumpkin patch, crying, tossing dead ferrets to Buckbeak. "Merlin," Ron exhaled, "Where are Draco and Gem when you need them?" Harry inappreciably tensed, knowing exactly where the pair were - in the kitchens, eating up, in preparation of devoting a night of their lives to be with their father on a full moon. "Who knows," the Boy-Who-Lived misguided, directing them ahead and hoping they wouldn't question further, "But we've got this! Come on."

"Did you see the big, fat blubbering oaf? Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic? And he's supposed to be our teacher! Oh, this is going to be rich, I - Oh, you three come to see the show did you?," Pansy shrilled; noticing the triad of Gryffindors. And Hermione, previously bothered, snapped. "You...foul...loathsome...evil...little, pug-faced bitch," the bushy-haired lass hissed as she lunged forward; backing Pansy against a tree, cross-eyed with fear as Hermione jabbed the tip of her wand under her opposer's nose. "Hermione! No," Ron chided; surprising everyone as he prevented her from harming the Slytherin, "She's not worth it." Hermione nodded, seeming to accept his advice - then, quick as lightening, landed a looping right to Parkinson's jaw with all of the strength she could muster, putting her flat on her back. Stunned, the Slytherin scrambled up on her feet and ran, Crabbe and Goyle huffing and puffing behind. "Hermione!," Ron said again, sounding both stunned and impressed. She merely smiled; admitting, "Huh, I guess Gemini has taught me a thing or two."

"Yeah. And you know she's going to be so proud of you when you've told her what you've done," Harry conceded as the trio made their way down the slope and past Buckbeak, who chewed on a ferret with idle satisfaction. "Bless him," Hermione whispered; gazing at the creature who hadn't a clue as to what was about to happen. And Hagrid, who'd seen the triad approaching as he'd been gazing out the window attentive of Buckbeak, threw open his front door and repined, "You shouldn've came!" But, nonetheless, the giant stood back, allowing the children entry into his dwelling.

Hagrid sorrowed no more, nor did he throw himself upon their necks. He looked like a man who did not know where he was or what to do. The helplessness was worse to watch than tears.

"Wan' some tea?," the man questioned; great hands shaking as he busied himself with the kettle. But his extremities trembled so violently that the milk jug he was about to fill up slipped from
his grasp and shattered all over the floor. "I'll do it, Hagrid," Hermione hastily interjected, hurrying over to clean up the mess. "There's another one in the cupboard," the giant discouragedly revealed, sitting down and wiping his forehead on his sleeve. Harry glanced at Ron, who looked back hopelessly, and fiercely implored, "Isn't there anything we can do, Hagrid? Or Dumbledore?"

"Dumbledore's tried," Hagrid disclosed; shaking his head solemnly, "He's got no power ter overrule the Committee. He told 'em Buckbeak's all right, but they're scared...Yeh know what Lucius Malfoy's like...threatened 'em, I expect...an' the executioner, Macnair, he's an old pal o' Malfoy's...but it'll be quick an' clean...an' I'll be beside him. And Dumbledore's gonna come down while it - while it happens. Wrote me this mornin'. Said he wants ter - ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore..." Hagrid swallowed. His eyes darted all over the cabin as though looking for some shred of hope or comfort. And Hermione, who had been rummaging in Hagrid's cupboard for another milk jug, let out a small, quickly stifled sob. She straightened up with the new jug in hand, fighting back tears, and declared, "We'll stay with you too, Hagrid." But the polypheme shook his his shaggy head in difference, stating, "Yeh will not! Think I wan' yeh seein' a thing like this? No. Yeh'll drink yer tea an' be off. But before yeh do - Ron, I wan' ter see you give 'Mione a hug." The red-head, taken aback, released a shrill that could rival Pansy Parkinson's. "Excuse me," he began, peering at Hagrid as though he'd lost his mind, "But what?"