Part 34 | On The Run

Eight Months Later,

KARTIK

" This is insane! "

For a brief second Arjun took his eyes off the laptop to look at me but resumed his work.

I sighed and walked to his side. Closing his laptop I forcefully grabbed his attention.

" Kartik, I have work to do! " he sounded irritated.

" Yeah, I am the jobless one here, trying to knock some sense into your stupid brain! " I scoffed.

" I know what I am doing. This is the wise thing to do. "

" of course! Watching your fiance marry some stranger in another city. Very wise! " Sarcasm dripped in my voice.

Arjun averted his gaze away and mumbled ," It wasn't my decision. She wanted an out."

I don't know if I should yell at him for being stupid or sympathize seeing my bestfriend hurting inside.

Aditi and Arjun, they were doing fine but last month things went downhill. Difference grew between them leading to intense arguments.

I can't convince Aditi, she wouldn't talk to me. I hurted her bestie and in her eyes I am still the bad guy.
Somewhere I feel if not for me, their relationship would have been easier. After what happened that night, things have never been same.

I have no clue about her. It's not like I can't get her details, just a snap of finger is all it will take. Trust me when I say I want to, so badly.

I wanna know her whereabouts and knock on her door, pull her into my arms and say how sorry I am, how miserable I feel without her and most importantly that I love her!

But alas, she doesn't want to be found.

" Arjun, you aren't thinking. Aditi is getting married today. It's 3 pm already. In another 4 hours she will become someone else's wife. This isn't any fiction, you can't undo things. We need to stop - "

" Kartik, She decided to leave and now if she wants to marry someone, let her do so. Who am I to stop her! I don't wanna talk about this anymore. " Arjun stood up and walked to the door.

" So you are giving up on your love without a fight? " My words made him halt the very moment.

I could hear him take a deep breath. Turning back he spoke in a calm tone.

" It hurts to let her go but, asking someone to stay despite knowing all they want is to leave, it's more painful. " Arjun smiled faintly.

"And out of all, you know this better" with that he left the cabin.

I closed my eyes taking a shaky breath.

" I have never asked you for anything, but just this one.
If you are searching for me, please Don't. Let me go. "

---------

It's been 15 minutes since Arjun left me to wait in the middle of a deserted road, Saying that he wanted to be alone for a few minutes.
We were returning home after a meeting Arjun compelled me to attend.

It was half past 7, Aditi must have got married by now.

What the heck universe!!

Annoyed I cursed under my breath and stepped out of the car. Loosening the last buttons of my suit I sat on the car bonnet.

Leaning I cushioned my head above my flexed arms as I watched the sky.
Only the sound of wind and my own breath was audible. The night was young. Stars glimmering in the dark. The moon was beautiful, curved into a perfect crescent.