Part 50 | Checkmate

"It was Naira! "

That voice. He can recognise, even in his sleep.

I can't be wrong.

Exhaling a long breath Kartik sat on the rolling chair, rubbing his tired eyes. It was 4 in the morning.

His knees bounced up and down impatiently, waiting for an answer.

Just after the anonymous call, Kartik summoned his technical team to track the call.

" Okay, let's assume it's her. Did she say anything? " Dhruv asked to which he responded with a negative nod.

" She probably wanted to convey something. But the line went off." Having heard her call, Rudra supported his brother's statement.

Dhruv sighed. " Did - "

The door bell caught their attention.
Who could possibly be at his doorstep, 3 in the night! 

" Sir, a young women came across the gate and told this was important. She was in a hurry and left before I could question her further. " The gaurd forwarded an envelope.

Rudra dismissed the guard before he tore open the cover.

" Tissue? "  The boys exchanged glances of confusion. " There's something written on it. "

" What does it say? " Arjun questioned impatiently.

Kartik watched Rudra's brows twitch.  " what is it, Rudy! " He sounded harsh, but he wasn't apologetic for he had little patience in his reserve.

I can't spend another day away from her. I need to make sure she's fine.

He snatched the letter and read through the lines.

Kartik,
It wasn't Dad.
Malhotra has false evidences
against dad.

Trafficking. Sunday.
Old palace harbour.

Don't worry about me,
I'll be waiting for you.

-  Naira

Kartik just stared at the tissue, the last promise he made to his wife came rushing back.

" I'll be back soon, Wait for me. "

" Okay. "

There was a flash of agony in his eyes but it was quickly replaced by rage.

Malhotra's dirty plot to trap him and his family infuriated him.
He held himself guilty, all the while. Everytime he looked at Naira, he couldn't shake the thought if not for his father, she would have had a happy childhood with her parents.
But it was Malhotra who snatched her childhood, killed her parents and kept her in dark.

" The phone call was indeed her! " Dhruv exclaimed in a renewed hope.

" Sunday? That's Today. " Arjun said, " whatever we are gonna do, we need to be quick. "

Kartik couldn't agree more, Time is ticking.

" Sir, we got the location. " Informed the tech team to everyone's delight.

" Dhruv. Call Malhotra. I have made my decision. "

Kartik shoved the tissue into his pocket.

---

Two hours before noon.

The angry feminine voice that bombarded through the walls of his house, made him look up from his laptop.