Part 38 | Keeping the Hopes Alive

KARTIK

I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Ridhi apologised for cheating on me, after years.

Last night I was startled speechless to see her. Arjun should have warned me about her arrival.

I didn't confront her the night I found out she was being disloyal to me, for I knew I would end up doing something I might regret the next morning.

I was too mad to stay in control, so the best choice was to leave and never turn back.

Ridhi wasn't the greatest love of my life but she was my first love. And when that breaks, it takes away something from you.

Your ideology about Love, it's never gonna be the same. You build this wall around so when next time someone comes around, you'll be wiser. The pain is agonizing and You will wonder why you loved at all in the first place.

Little did I know that I will meet a women who would break the wall I had built so strong, to it's last debris.

To prove the world has an abundance of love that's worth falling and fighting for.

Realisation hit me hard.

That's how Naira would have felt when she knew I screwed up our relationship, to watch her first love break her trust.

Guilt consumed me yet again, thinking of that night she left the house.

The Ridhi who cheated on me was young and stupid, but the one who apologised, had gone through a lot and fought her way out of an abusive marriage. I accepted her apology. there was sincerity in it, she did regret her past actions.

She deserved a second chance to become the better person she was willing to.

Everyone does.

-----

It was 7 in the evening. The house was full of people hustling around. The balcony seemed like the only place without any human smell. Hence I stepped out to get some fresh air to find Naira leaning against the railing, gazing at the stars.

I decided to head back inside, not wanting to disrupt her lone time. Sensing my presence she cast a glance at me, tilting her neck.

" It's fine. You can stay. " She paused, " if you want. "

Why will I not want to. Afterall, I have been looking for ways to stay around her.

Silence stretched between us, as we just kept looking at the dark night sky.

Dad and mom arrived this morning and since then they had been asking for her. I knew they had a talk with Naira late this morning, but I am clueless how it turned out.

I hope it went well. when I asked, Dad remained silent but looked at ease. My Mom was crystal clear in her message.

" I don't know what you will do, but I need my daughter back. I am not missing out on such a great kid. Get your mess cleared and bring her back home!! Understood! "

" Um... About Dad...." My sentence trailed. I didn't know what to say.

" It was an Accident, Mr. Oberoi. He is a good man and is truly remorse for what happened. Holding a grudge for his past mistakes, isn't gonna change anything. I don't wanna make things difficult for anyone. I Just want to move past it. " She took a deep breath.

" My parents would want me to forgive him. "

In that moment, I wanted to pull her close and and hug her tight. Let her know she isn't alone. Let her know I am there for her.