Chapter 19

Maria POV

I can't believe this is happening. I mean I knew it was going to happen, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon.

Recap on the events. Dom and his family came over and it went great expect Mia falling down the stairs. Mia and JJ I know will become best friends. She has been getting more relaxed with us over the past couple of days. Her stutter is slowly disappearing only stuttering once in her sentences.

We have cameras in Mia's playroom to ensure that the children were okay and when she talks to him it seems like her anxiety goes away completely. Maybe that is what she needed to finally overcome her anxiety. That also leads to the discussion of school which she will be attending this upcoming fall. I am planning to find a tutor for Mia beforehand to make sure she is not too far behind because of those pathetic imbeciles who neglected my babygirl.

Last night while I was in the kitchen, I remember Fran and the other talking about the yearly gathering for both of our families. Fran's family all reside in Italy their home country while my family all live in America where I was born. Because of the distance with Fran's family and the amount of people there are, we all decided to have a yearly gathering during summertime. During this time, we have competitions between families and just bond. It originally started to ease the tension between my family and Frans. My father was the previous Don of the American Mafia when I was younger. We didn't exactly have a bad relationship with the Italian Mafia, but wasn't exactly great either.

So, when Fran and I decided to be together we knew that we needed each family to be at least civil with each other. So now a couple decades laters, we continue this family tradition without a hitch. The gathering was supposed to about 2 weeks away as the boys would be finished with school. Not that they have been going in person since Mia has been back. It is only Rocco still in school as the twins finished earlier in the week, but he has been doing his assignments and finished because of the current events. Neither Fran or I told our respective family about finding Mia because of her trauma and knew that introducing to everyone would overwhelm her, but apparently the news got out and I woke up to my parents calling me and Fran talking to his.

Flashback to earlier

I woke up to having something heavy on my chest. I looked over and saw that Mia was laying directly on my right side and Fran's left side. She looked so cute with her soft snores coming out.

"Adorable, right?" I hear Fran whisper while looking at her.

"How long have you been awake?" I whisper back while rubbing Mia's back.

"About half an hour."

I looked at the clock and realized it is about 8:45 meaning that Mia should be waking up soon. I didn't feel like cooking this morning, so I texted Leo to see if he would cook which he agreed to.

This is the perfect moment. Mia in our bed cuddled up to both of us while the morning sun lazily enters the room notifying us that it is a new day. I couldn't have wished for a better morning.

Unfortunately, moments like these cannot last forever because a minute later both mine and Fran's phones go off. We both leaned over to our night stands rejecting the call before it could wake up Mia ignoring who was calling us at this ungodly hour.

"Who called you?" I asked

"My parents... You?" Fran replied with a hint of worry in his voice

I looked over and I got the same feeling.

"Shit. Mine, too. Do you think they know?"

Before he could answer, the phones go off, but we are not successful in rejecting it and Mia wakes up. Luckily, both of the phones stop once she does.