Chapter 37

Maria POV

"Maria, it is almost 3!" I hear Alisha yell as I am finishing up some cases

Damn. She is right. I thought I could finish more cases before it was time to pick up the children.

"Mar, did you hear me?" Alisha says as she stands in front of my door with a raised eyebrow.

I roll my eyes. Alisha is always on top of it, which is why she is my second command in my business, but sometimes it is like she is mothering me.

"Yes, mom. I thought I had more time to go through these files," I tell her as I look up from my computer.

Not only do I run an amazing assassin corporation, but I also helped create women's shelters and opportunities for those who have been subjected to abuse. One non-profit organization I work with is River's; however, he specializes more in abused and neglected children and LGBTQ+ issues. However, he has helped me with a couple of cases before.

"Which business is it for?"

"The legitimate one," I tell her as I start packing up.

"Ah. Let me have some, and I can work on it later today," she says, shrugging her shoulders.

"No, I can't let you do that. I-"

"Please, allow me. I don't have children, so I have plenty of time plus, I am not interested in dating at the moment, so no issues,"

"What do you mean not dating? I set you up with someone last week," I say, giving her a stern look.

"Well, look at the time; it's 3:03. Better start heading to pick up the kids," She says, snatching some of my files and heading to her office.

"Fine, you get to escape this one time. But, did you have a chance to look at the file I sent about the Mexican Cartel?" I ask as I start walking out.

"Ah, yes. It seems legit and not a knock-off. However, I heard from some of our assassins that the Mexican Cartel is struggling with leadership," She says while handing me a file.

"Really," I reply as I start looking at the file.

"Yeah, that file has the information I have been able to get so far, but it looks like rebellions are occurring. Not sure of the reason yet, but I am looking into it. If you are going to Mexico anytime soon, let me know, I need to restock my tequila collection."

"I just might. Thanks for the file and update. Dinner is at 6:30. I expect to see you and the files you snatched from me there. And you cannot say you have plans because you already told me you have no life outside of work. See you later," I tell her as I head to my car.

Mexico. This could get interesting. But first, I need to get the children.

...

"Hello, I am here to pick up JJ and Mia," I tell the front desk lady.

"Okay, they will be out in a minute," she tells me as I move to the side.

"MAMA!!" I hear my princess yell

"MIA!" I yell back, just as excited, and pick her up.

"AUNTY MARIA!" I then hear JJ yell

I pull him into our hug as I yell his name.

"Ready to go home?" I ask as I lead them both to the car

"Yes." They both say