Chapter 29

Antonio POV

Shit. 

I can't believe this is happening. Those damn Germans are continuously messing up our shipments with Russia. Luckily, they have not been able to secure any more weapons as we have built in a safety that they will self destruct if there is an ambush. 

It has been a couple of days since the first initiated signs of war, but I did not plan for them to be this bold and reckless. We have caught a few of the men during their attempts to ambush, but it continues to lead to dead ends as they take a pill before we can interrogate them. 

The only positive thing that has happened since these attacks are Mia. My parents and I are stilled worried about Mia, but since Lydia has been at the house she seems to be getting better. However, we all know Lydia being with us is temporary and we fear the turnout when she leaves as Mia's relationship with her is stronger than it is with our extended family. She completely broke when they left. 

Even Lydia knows her time with Mia is temporary for now. She loves spending time with her, but the other night she came to us letting us know that she needs to continue her mission soon. Everyone knew this was coming, but we don't have the heart to tell Mia just yet. We have discussed with Uncle Dom and Santi that we can practice separation with Lydia before she leaves to get Mia used to the idea. Actually, he encouraged us have Mia attend some kind of daycare or summer camp so she makes friends and gets used to not being with us all the time. Safe to say that conversation was tense. 

flashback 

"Dom! You can't actually being saying that!" Mom shouted at him. 

"Honey-" Dad started 

"No! I am all for getting her to experience new environments, but daycare or a summer camp this soon without us?! She hasn't been with us for even a month and we keep throwing her into all these situations and it ends with her crying. Plus, there is this bounty on her head. " Mom said wiping the tears on her face. 

Dom, Dad, Leo, Santi, and I all looked at each other than at Mom. 

"Don't you think we are rushing everything? " She said after she recollected herself. 

"Mar, you may be right. But I do think it will be good for Mia to experience being a little kid and that includes doing some kind of activity besides being in the house. We both know that you cannot stop living because of a threat. This is the life we chose and the world we live in. Threats occur all the time because of it. We must continue to live as you never know when the last time will be. " Uncle Dom said while hugging Mom. 

"I know... It's just hard. We just got her back..." Mom mumbled out. 

"Uncle. She does have a point. We have had her for a little over 2 weeks and she needs to be comfortable and not just in the sense of safety, but in understanding that we will always come back. She is five but her mentality is someone who is abused and extremely impressionable. I think coddling her more won't hurt, but I do agree that over the next 2-3 months we should enroll her into some kind of activity. Possibly with JJ?" Santi says after a moment of silence. 

Uncle just nods his head in understanding. 

"M-mama? P-papa?" We hear a soft voice say from behind us. 

We turned to see our angel staring at us with JJ right behind her and River right behind him. 

"Jesus. You little squirts can move." River says once he reaches them. 

"Dad, you're just old and out of shape." JJ says while rolling his eyes.

That earned a few chuckles in the room. Including Uncle which earned him a glare from River.