Chapter Ⅵ

𝙀𝙣𝙟𝙤𝙮!

Y/n walked into her comfortable home, her condo, covered in a few colors outside of black, white, linen, and brown. She quickly turned the lights on and kicked off her heels before heading to her room where she quickly took off the dress and placed on a tank top, an oversized zip-up sweater, a pair of sweatpants, and socks.

She headed back out to her living room, but instead of heading to her couch, she headed to the pantry in her kitchen where she grabbed a wine bottle and headed to a cabinet where she also grabbed a wine glass, she quickly dashed back to her couch and sat the glass and the bottle down onto the coffee table.

She turned on the TV and poured herself a glass as the infamous channel, known for its cheesy, cliche, bad, cringy movies, played one that would be known by nobody unless some unlucky person were to be watching Hallmark at this time and were on time to watch the Christmas-themed movie playing in the middle of May.

She took a quick sip of her wine and watched as they were giving the stereotypical Christmas movie trope where the leading character was a single, divorced father, but this time, the man had three children and was fighting his ex-wife over custody.

Y/n sighed and quickly changed the channel to some cartoons where she let her brain rest and her body sink into the couch as she took one last sip from her wine glass.

L/n jolted awake from the ringing of her phone and the strong vibrations being sent through the glass table. She quickly got up and answered the call, instantly hearing the voice of her boss, Damian Lazlus.

"Are you coming to work today?" His voice was a bit raspy, but still monotone as it almost always was; L/n could hear the sound of his coffee machine in the background, and the sound of the liquid filling the container was relatively loud.

"Sir, aren't the weekends, including Fridays, always days off? Today, the building would be closed to most people, no?" She got up and was about to begin picking up the wine bottle and the empty glass before she noticed, neither was there. Both the glass and the bottle were not where she'd put them the previous night.

Lazlus was speaking, she knew that much, but she didn't catch on to what he was saying. It seemed like Lazlus had picked up on the fact that L/n potentially wasn't listening to him, specifically because the loud noises and sounds of shuffling and things moving were particularly loud in her background. "L/n-san, are you okay?"

"I'm–I'm fine. No need to worry." She gasped in slight surprise and pain as the door of a cabinet clipped her finger, hurting her in the process.

"Are you sure? It sounded like you hurt yourself just now." Two different glasses were placed down in his background and the creaking of something caught her attention. "Do you need help?"

"No–no, as I said before, sir, I am fine." She placed the phone down and turned on the sink to run water over the now-bleeding wound on her finger. She hissed as the wound began to burn in reaction to the water running over the fresh flesh wound.

With the water that ran off of her finger, it merely changed from its natural clear coloring to a transparent, light red. "Sir, I'll be right back." Without waiting for a response, L/n quickly went to her bathroom where she put a bandaid on top of the wound and returned to her phone.

"Y/n-san, are you sure that you're alright? Are you sure that you do not need my help?" Lazlus rarely ever let any emotion, let alone desperation, seep or lace into his words, nor did he commonly use a person's first name; so now being that he did both, showed that he was worried for her.

"Damian," Y/n sent butterflies into his stomach, especially considering that she rarely ever used his first name, and her voice in the morning was always calm and responsive, never having underlying intentions beneath the honey surface. "I'm fine, I promise."

Damian sighed and smiled at her promise, remembering the last promise she made to him years ago; but like every dream he held on to, it slipped right through his fingers like water, thinking that she'd forgotten the promise she made.

She heard him sigh and speak. "Okay, I'll take your word on it."