Chapter ⅩⅥ

i decided to carry the story on as lowercase intended.
sorry i was gone for so long, i was marinating in my writer's block 💀

"my love, why won't you eat?" damian frowned in slight frustration, eyebrows pulled together.

y/n simply refused to eat. of course, the pasta with melted cheese and tomato sauce looked wonderful and the sight simply made her mouth water, but there was a strange scent radiating from it. unfortunately, she just wouldn't point the smell out because she knew that someone else made the food, if damian was crazy enough to kidnap her, who knows what he would do to the poor cook, and plus, damian was completely unable to cook. if even so much as turned on the stove, whatever is nearby and/or on the stove would melt within seconds. he's just too incapable of making mouth-watering food. "not hungry." the woman kept her voice low and her mouth closed, avoiding the possibility that he would just stick the food into her mouth.

a mean scowl painted on his face. "fine then. starve." just like a child, damian stomped out of the room and slammed the door so hard behind him that the paintings on the wall were slightly shaking.

before the poor woman could even be left alone to her thoughts, the door opened once again, but instead of damian, it was angelcia, the most heavenly maid that damian had ever hired.

"ms. l/n, are you alright? i saw that mr. lazlus had just stomped out of the room and he seemed pretty angry... he didn't hurt you, did he?" a tall stack of books was placed on the bed and neatly organized on the bookshelf directly next to the bed.

"no. i'm fine." y/n sighed and laid down. she'd been bored all these days with nothing to do, and the recent addition of books on her list to do aside from sleeping and watching the people from the room in the condo that was insanely above the streets.

"that's good," angelcia smiled softly, pointing to the books inside the bookshelf. "i convinced mr. lazlus to get you books. you know that man has plenty of books that the doesn't read. they just sit there and collect dust." the blonde pouted playfully, successfully lifting the somber mood a bit.

y/n frowned a bit at damian's reading habits. she takes time and effort to recommend books that would ease him into the reading community, and all he does is collect them and set them aside so that they can collect dust. how kind of him. shaking the thoughts away, y/n pointed to a book with a navy blue spine and cover. "hand me the flickering candlelight and sit with me, please." a soft smile resided on y/n's face.

"yes ma'am!" with newfound enthusiasm, angelcia handed the chained woman the book and quickly sat next to her. "so, what's it about?"

smiling widely, y/n quickly opens the book to the first page. "well, a child lights a candle without his mom's permission, and throughout his childhood, the candle never goes out, nor does it ever melt..."