Chapter 38 Lost But Not Forgotten

No one's POV

4 days later

Currently in an unknown location, One slowly began to open her eyes and groans in pain.

One: Ugh...

Medic: She's waking up.

One: Huh...?

???: Woah, easy now. You've been out for a while now. You lost a lot of blood. Just take it easy, there's nothing to worry about. You're safe, One.

One looked at the figure standing by her bed, and thought it was Zero.

One: Big bro? Is that you...?

???: Not quite.

As One's vision cleared, she saw Maverick standing by her bed.

One: Who are you...?

Maverick: Names Maverick. Felix's partner.

One: Oh yeah, he did mention you...

One attempted to sit up, but Maverick tried to stop her.

Maverick: Yeah, I wouldn't move just yet, you-

As One sat up, she immediately felt something was off. She looked over at her right arm and saw it now a robotic prosthetic, surprising her.

One: M-My arm

One: M-My arm...

Maverick: Yeah, I was told you were a little too close to an explosion and it was blown off.

One just looked at her new arm, moving it around, and then looked around the room.

One: Where am I?

Maverick: We're back at base.

One: Base?

Maverick: That's right. Welcome to the New Republic.

One: What about the others? Where are they?

Maverick: Grif, Simmons, Tucker and Caboose are up in the main compound.

One: Well what about everyone else? What about Sarge? What about David?!

Maverick didn't say anything, as One spoke up again, now irritated.

One: What happened?!

Maverick: We had to leave them.

One: What?!

Maverick: The Feds were closing in. If we stayed any longer they would have taken you too.

One just looked down, clinching her fists tightly, extremely frustrated.

One: Damn it...

Maverick didn't say anything and just put his hand on her shoulder, comforting her.

Maverick: Look, I'm sorry. I wish we could have gotten them, but there's no time. I know you were pretty close to them, especially Washington, but we had to go.