Chapter 72 Recovery

No one's POV

It's been a few months since Zero was shot in the throat and was taken to the hospital at Chorus by Maverick and Scarlet. Carolina, Wash and One had been informed that Tucker and the others had taken down Temple, along with the Blues and Reds. Currently, Carolina is with is with Zero as he begins the final stages of his recovery, as the two of them are sitting on a ledge with their helmets off.

Zero: Have I ever told you about me and One's friend back in the military? His name was Buck

Carolina: Buck? No, I don't think you did.

Zero: We met him when we were moved to the AO2 unit. He was paired with his girlfriend, Dare.

Carolina: Oh no, I can already tell where this is going.

Zero: The four of us got close, over time. They even invited us to go on vacation with them when we were not on tour. But Dare did something, I honestly see you doing.

Carolina: What?

Zero: Dare essentially dared Buck to marry her.

Carolina: Oh noooooo.

Zero: Yeah. Honestly, I can see why she did it. She knew that he would never propose if she didn't do something.

Carolina: Good woman. What did he do?

Zero: He said yes, obviously.

Carolina: Smart man.

Zero just rolled his eyes and chuckled.

Zero: Of course you'd say that. Dare is a lot like you.

Carolina: Hey, she's a woman who knows what she wants. Can't fault her for that.

Zero: Uh huh.

Carolina: How's the head?

Zero: Better. You were right about the fresh air. Dr. Grey tell you about this place?

Carolina: There's a training course nearby. It's where I like to keep in shape.

Zero: Oh? Show me.

Zero and Carolina walked up to the nearby training course, with several different obstacles. Front and center is a set of wooden monkey bars and a wooden climbing wall.

Zero: Oh ho! I haven't seen one of these since Basic! You wanna race?

Carolina: Come on, Ad! You're on the mend. You are not in any condition to compete.

Zero: I'm fine, Nat, trust me. Or are you scared because you already know I'm going to beat you.

Carolina: Hah, you didn't stand a chance before. [Teasingly.] Before you got... old.

Zero runs up to the bars, and leaps up to grab ahold and begin crossing.

Zero: I swear, you better not be giving me a-